Must have spices and seasonings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd_1138

Sous Chef
I went through the spices and threw away a bunch of expired ones. Now I am left with salt, pepper, onion salt, garlic salt, basil, bay leaves, oregano, parsley, red pepper flakes.

Also, I stocked up on some seasoning envelopes -- brown gravy, chili, taco, fajitas, Ranch.

I can't find any curry at the 2 stores I go to. I guess I have to drive 10 miles away or order off Amazon or eBay.

Any other good spices I should have on hand?

I go through garlic powder and onion powder a lot. I also found Italian seasoning that is almost finished, to my surprise. I imagine that's a lot like Herbs d' Provence - I have no idea if I'm spelling that correctly. I also use a lot of Chinese 5 spice (I LOVE hoisin chicken) and Old Bay seasoning, which I use when I get Bisquick and make cheddar garlic biscuits. And I now use so much cayenne pepper that I've put it in its own salt shaker.

During the holidays I use a ton of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger.

I have regular paprika and smoked paprika and I don't have a clue what to use them with.

Cumin is another good one to have ( if you like Mexican or Indian ).

If your really enjoy Indian food, there are probably a half dozen or so spices that can be added to the list.

Cumin is another good one to have ( if you like Mexican or Indian ).

If your really enjoy Indian food, there are probably a half dozen or so spices that can be added to the list.

I love Indian food, but my wife doesn't. She doesn't like curry or cumin. But I will still buy some for the food I cook for me and my BIL. Do they make an Indian spices blend? It'd be nice to put some in olive oil for cooking tofu or chicken.

"Garam Masala" is like a general Indian spice blend. I think it varies depending on what brand or who makes it, but its a good general Indian spice to have on hand

Gosh, where to begin....! :LOL: Ditto on the smoked paprika, and I also have to have cumin and chili powder as I do a lot of Tex mex cooking. A good cinnamon is a must for me, and garlic powder - not garlic salt. I have to have a good peppercorn for my grinder - I love pepper, and not the stuff that comes in a can. Once you taste fresh ground pepper, you'll never go back. :)

Have you ever checked out Penzeys? A lot of us here use them and are very happy with the quality, customer service, and prices. Often they include freebies with an order. In fact, I'm fixin' to place an order with them right now, to take advantage of a free bottle of dried shallots (delicious!) and roasted garlic. Free shipping for orders over $30...until midnight tonight its free shipping over $20, plus the freebies.

Have to get back to my order. :LOL:
https://www.penzeys.com/

edited....another thread for your reading enjoyment. :)
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f163/penzeys-spices-any-opinions-85359.html

Last edited:
I'd have to think about this for a bit. DH is saying I have a spice addiction because I've ordered from Penzey's so much over the last several months. I'd guess I have 70 or more herbs, spices and blends :ohmy: I grow my own herbs, though, so I either use fresh or dry them and refill my jars a couple times a year.

I agree with Cheryl about garlic powder, onion powder, etc., instead of the salt. No need to spend more on salt when I have plenty already ;)

I'm just posting this so you can see the variety of curries available - and these are just some of the Indian ones. Take a look at the ingredients and see which appeal to you: https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/indian-curries-8-jar-gift-pack/c-24/p-1550/pd-gb

I go through garlic powder and onion powder a lot. I also found Italian seasoning that is almost finished, to my surprise. I imagine that's a lot like Herbs d' Provence - I have no idea if I'm spelling that correctly.

Italian seasoning usually has oregano and sage, which herbs de Provence does not have, and herbs de Provence usually has lavender, which I can't stand, so to me, they're nothing alike ;)

Last edited:
Here's my pathetic stash of spices. :) And most are el cheapo dollar store brands.

Attachments

• spices0.jpg
    spices0.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 289
Another Penzey's fan here. Whenever I cook anything even remotely Italian, I must include fennel seeds that I buy whole, then grind. I need thyme in anything broth based. I've grown it, but the oregano keeps strangling it, so it croaks. Mexican oregano is nice. Whole nutmeg will outlast you and your family, so good grated into anything with cauliflower or cheese sauce, rice pudding. Whole peppercorns. Whole cloves. We go through a lot of hot pepper flakes. Epazote, celery seed, several paprikas and cayennes. I have so many herbs and spices that I built a separate cabinet for them!

Last edited:
Lot's of good advice there, and I'm a Penzey's fan also. Their granulated garlic is far superior to anything I've ever used before. I don't care for any of the Indian cooking I've tasted so those choices are out for me. I must have cumin and Mexican oregano for my Mexican cooking. I use Herbs de Provence a lot, without lavender. Many people don't know that lavender is an American idea in the mix, and is never found in the Provence area of France. It's a really wonderful blend of spices.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbes_de_Provence

Last edited:
Gosh, where to begin....! :LOL: Ditto on the smoked paprika, and I also have to have cumin and chili powder as I do a lot of Tex mex cooking. A good cinnamon is a must for me, and garlic powder - not garlic salt. I have to have a good peppercorn for my grinder - I love pepper, and not the stuff that comes in a can. Once you taste fresh ground pepper, you'll never go back. :)

Have you ever checked out Penzeys? A lot of us here use them and are very happy with the quality, customer service, and prices. Often they include freebies with an order. In fact, I'm fixin' to place an order with them right now, to take advantage of a free bottle of dried shallots (delicious!) and roasted garlic. Free shipping for orders over $30...until midnight tonight its free shipping over $20, plus the freebies.

Have to get back to my order. :LOL:
https://www.penzeys.com/

edited....another thread for your reading enjoyment. :)
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f163/penzeys-spices-any-opinions-85359.html

Also look at Savory Spice Shop (.com) for great service and some great blends. They do the same with free samples often included in your order ( my last purchase I got a sample of Saigon Cinnamon that makes the grocery store stuff seem like a completely different spice). Prices are reasonable, and your order usually ships within 2 business days.

I can't be caught without thyme or rosemary or basil. Cumin has been mentioned. Good quality paprika (hot, sweet, or smoked - I try to keep all 3 on hand), good chili powder, garlic and onion powder are all important ingredients in most BBQ rubs.

Last edited:
jd, I'm glad to see you misspoke (mistyped?) when you posted onion salt and garlic salt. Your photo shows the powder version of each. IMO, that is much better because 1) you can control how much salt goes into each dish, 2) I find the "salt" version solidifies if you don't use it enough, while the powder version does not, and 3) it's just plain cheaper shake-for-shake.

You must LIKE cumin to stock cumin. I keep trying to like it, but no matter who's version I buy, I still can't like it (I'm lookin' at you, Penzeys :LOL: ). My spice cabinet must-haves are: cinnamon, Italian blend, tarragon, ground cayenne and chipotle peppers, sweet, hot and smoked paprika, pepper corns (Cheryl is right about fresh-ground pepper), whole cloves, and probably more I can't think of - and I'm too lazy to walk downstairs from the den to the kitchen to check the shelves.

If you are up for a ride and have the time, you should take a pilgrimage trip to Penzeys. The nearest one to you is about a hour away, on Chagrin Blvd in Woodmere. You can sniff each and every spice, herb, and blend they offer. You can buy in jars or zip bags. If you sign up for emails, you get regular coupons for freebies - could be worth more than the cost of gas, if you end up driving to them. I also enjoy looking at/buying from The Spice House. Also, I randomly picked up a couple of blends at a Savory Spice Shop and found them to be really good. You can peruse them or any of the other mail-order places, but there are scads to look at online. Peruse with caution! :LOL:

I Like to keep these in the spice Cupboard;
Chipotle powder
cayenne pepper
Smoked paprika
Hungarian paprika (sweet, mild, and hot)
Coriander seeds
Cumin seeds
Fennel seeds
Star anise
Chinese 5 spice
Mace
Nutmeg (Whole)
Cinnamon (powder and Sticks)
Cloves (ground and Whole)
Cardamom pods (green and Black)
Sumac
Allspice
Juniper berries
Oregano (mex., Greek, and Ital)
Marjoram
Basil
Thyme
Tarragon
Rosemary
Mustard seeds (yellow and Brown)
Powdered ginger
Powdered mustard (a couple of dif ones)
A bunch of diff peppercorns and salts
Diff curry blends
Bay
Dill
Mint
Dill seeds
Celery seeds
Poppy seeds
Turmeric
Saffron
lemon, orange, and lime zest
Tomato powder
Liquid smoke
Fenugreek (seeds and dried leaves)
Avacado leaves
Curry leaves
Dried keffir lime leaves
A bunch of dried hot peppers

I'd have to get up and see what else is in there. I like having rosewater, orange blossom water and lavender on hand, too. I have Indian and Asian spices/herbs I can't spell...

I only use fresh garlic and onion.

Last edited:
You have received some excellent advice. A lot depends on what kind of foods you cook. If you don't cook Mexican or TexMex foods, then it most likely that you won't use the spices very often for those dishes. A must have for me is sea salt. Both course and fine. I have a grinder for both the salt and peppercorns. The flavor is more intense for these two items than the prepackaged ones.

Do head over to Penzy's. Take your time and read what each spice is for and how to use it. They give excellent advice on all of their products. Including recipes. You can also sign up for their catalog. Lots of recipes in there also for their spices that are on sale. The freebies with each order doesn't hurt either. :angel:

Since you just tossed a bunch, I assume it's because they didn't get used.

I recommend you buy herbs and spices as you need them so you only have the spices you use regularly.

What you buy depends on what you cook, not on what others recommend.

Since you just tossed a bunch, I assume it's because they didn't get used.

I recommend you buy herbs and spices as you need them so you only have the spices you use regularly.

What you buy depends on what you cook, not on what others recommend.
+1 I don't have blends cuz I don't use them.

Back
Top Bottom