"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 01-31-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Must have spices and seasonings?

I went through the spices and threw away a bunch of expired ones. Now I am left with salt, pepper, onion salt, garlic salt, basil, bay leaves, oregano, parsley, red pepper flakes.

Also, I stocked up on some seasoning envelopes -- brown gravy, chili, taco, fajitas, Ranch.

I can't find any curry at the 2 stores I go to. I guess I have to drive 10 miles away or order off Amazon or eBay.

Any other good spices I should have on hand?

Old 01-31-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
Head Chef

Over the years , I've included Smoked Paprika as a regular in my spice collection. Its great when you want a hint of that smokey flavor.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I go through garlic powder and onion powder a lot. I also found Italian seasoning that is almost finished, to my surprise. I imagine that's a lot like Herbs d' Provence - I have no idea if I'm spelling that correctly. I also use a lot of Chinese 5 spice (I LOVE hoisin chicken) and Old Bay seasoning, which I use when I get Bisquick and make cheddar garlic biscuits. And I now use so much cayenne pepper that I've put it in its own salt shaker.

During the holidays I use a ton of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger.

I have regular paprika and smoked paprika and I don't have a clue what to use them with.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
Head Chef

Cumin is another good one to have ( if you like Mexican or Indian ).

If your really enjoy Indian food, there are probably a half dozen or so spices that can be added to the list.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Cumin is another good one to have ( if you like Mexican or Indian ).

If your really enjoy Indian food, there are probably a half dozen or so spices that can be added to the list.
I love Indian food, but my wife doesn't. She doesn't like curry or cumin. But I will still buy some for the food I cook for me and my BIL. Do they make an Indian spices blend? It'd be nice to put some in olive oil for cooking tofu or chicken.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:26 PM   #6
Head Chef

"Garam Masala" is like a general Indian spice blend. I think it varies depending on what brand or who makes it, but its a good general Indian spice to have on hand
Old 01-31-2016, 09:35 PM   #7
Master Chef

Gosh, where to begin....! Ditto on the smoked paprika, and I also have to have cumin and chili powder as I do a lot of Tex mex cooking. A good cinnamon is a must for me, and garlic powder - not garlic salt. I have to have a good peppercorn for my grinder - I love pepper, and not the stuff that comes in a can. Once you taste fresh ground pepper, you'll never go back.

Have you ever checked out Penzeys? A lot of us here use them and are very happy with the quality, customer service, and prices. Often they include freebies with an order. In fact, I'm fixin' to place an order with them right now, to take advantage of a free bottle of dried shallots (delicious!) and roasted garlic. Free shipping for orders over $30...until midnight tonight its free shipping over $20, plus the freebies.

Have to get back to my order.
https://www.penzeys.com/

edited....another thread for your reading enjoyment. :-)
Penzeys spices: Any opinions?
Old 01-31-2016, 10:00 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I'd have to think about this for a bit. DH is saying I have a spice addiction because I've ordered from Penzey's so much over the last several months. I'd guess I have 70 or more herbs, spices and blends I grow my own herbs, though, so I either use fresh or dry them and refill my jars a couple times a year.

I agree with Cheryl about garlic powder, onion powder, etc., instead of the salt. No need to spend more on salt when I have plenty already

I'm just posting this so you can see the variety of curries available - and these are just some of the Indian ones. Take a look at the ingredients and see which appeal to you: https://www.penzeys.com/online-catal...4/p-1550/pd-gb
Old 01-31-2016, 10:02 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I go through garlic powder and onion powder a lot. I also found Italian seasoning that is almost finished, to my surprise. I imagine that's a lot like Herbs d' Provence - I have no idea if I'm spelling that correctly.
Italian seasoning usually has oregano and sage, which herbs de Provence does not have, and herbs de Provence usually has lavender, which I can't stand, so to me, they're nothing alike
Old 01-31-2016, 10:03 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Here's my pathetic stash of spices. :) And most are el cheapo dollar store brands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spices0.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	24269  

Tags
seasoning, seasonings, spices