"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 11-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #11
Head Chef

Oh well, the lil' one didn't make it. It expired sometime in the night.

I told kirra (my daughter) to ask her teacher about another plant (not a basil). And to call me if this was effecting her grade.

I didn't mention how I don't have a green thumb and every plant I've ever touched didn't make it (healthy plants). ANd I try, I really do. Maybe if she gets another, she can take care of it without my help and it'll have a chance.

Thanks to all for your help, you shall be included in the obituary, lol.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Can she just take a jar of dry basil into the teacher and tell her that her plant flourished so well that she dried and bottled it so that it can be enjoyed with many meals throughout the year?

ehh, probably not...

Old 11-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #13
Master Chef

I had a commercial greenhouse for 22 years, and basil was one of the spring plants my customers requested. I direct seeded them because they don't transplant well. I also told my customers that they really do best when seeded right into the garden. I have seen basil grown in pots, but I never had much luck at it.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Can she just take a jar of dry basil into the teacher and tell her that her plant flourished so well that she dried and bottled it so that it can be enjoyed with many meals throughout the year?

ehh, probably not...

LOLOL ( I literally laughed out loud at that)

My husband said just go buy another and put it in the cup, lol.
I say no we're not!! lol
Old 11-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I had a commercial greenhouse for 22 years, and basil was one of the spring plants my customers requested. I direct seeded them because they don't transplant well. I also told my customers that they really do best when seeded right into the garden. I have seen basil grown in pots, but I never had much luck at it.
I'd love to have a garden but as stated above, I have the death touch. Both my parents were great at gardening. But I guess that canceled me out.

When I first moved into my house (i brought from my sister). She left her plants there until she could them moved. There were several. When she came back to get them, only two made the move, lol. I told her from day one don't leave the plants with me...
Old 11-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

I live in Cocoa Beach, Fl. It is gardening season here now. I grow basil continuously, it is one of my favorite herbs, typically lemon & genovese or sweet(pesto, salads, etc). I grow from seed & transplant each crop. Just gently separate the plants to minimize damage to the roots & create a hole big enough to re set the roots without disturbing them too much, then moisture, sun & periodic fertilizer. Too much sun & they will go to seed.

Tim Abbott
Old 11-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #17
Master Chef

You'll have to keep us up to date on this poor plant's doomed life! It is a favorite herb for many of us, but is, for me, one of the most delicate to grow. Why didn't the teacher use a green bean seedling?
Old 11-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
You'll have to keep us up to date on this poor plant's doomed life! It is a favorite herb for many of us, but is, for me, one of the most delicate to grow. Why didn't the teacher use a green bean seedling?

Oh it didn't make it. Poor little thing....It had just peeped it's little plant head above the soil, coughed, croked.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like your idea, Claire. Taking it a step further, have the students start a plant from a bean.

Once, just out of curiosity, I took a kidney bean from a many years old bag that my Mother had, and planted it in a sconce with a little soil. It sprouted into a lovely little plant!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basil