"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Odette's Seasoning Salt

I started making my own seasoning salt when I found out I had chronic high cholesterol and I thought it might be a good idea to share it since most of us can do with less salt in our diets but don't want to miss out on flavour.

Seasoning salt

1 and a half cups of coarse sea salt
3/4 cup of thyme
1 tbs of coriander seeds
1 tbs of black peppercorns
1 tbs of mustard powder
1 tbs of paprika
2 tbs of celery seed

Blend all ingredients well and pour into empty salt grinder bottles.
Good on meat. eggs, pasta, stews, sauces and soups.

Variation for fish, chicken and cheese dishes....
Change thyme for lemon thyme, add 2 tsps of dried lemon zest and 1 tbs of sesame seeds. The rest of the ingredients stay the same.

Please feel free to share your own spice and herb blends :)

__________________

__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I started making my own seasoning salt when I found out I had chronic high cholesterol and I thought it might be a good idea to share it since most of us can do with less salt in our diets but don't want to miss out on flavour.

Seasoning salt

1 and a half cups of coarse sea salt
3/4 cup of thyme
1 tbs of coriander seeds
1 tbs of black peppercorns
1 tbs of mustard powder
1 tbs of paprika
2 tbs of celery seed

Blend all ingredients well and pour into empty salt grinder bottles.
Good on meat. eggs, pasta, stews, sauces and soups.

Variation for fish, chicken and cheese dishes....
Change thyme for lemon thyme, add 2 tsps of dried lemon zest and 1 tbs of sesame seeds. The rest of the ingredients stay the same.

Please feel free to share your own spice and herb blends :)

Snip, are you saying that salt affects your cholesterol? I'd never heard that before.

This is an interesting blend. Thanks for posting.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Snip, are you saying that salt affects your cholesterol? I'd never heard that before.

This is an interesting blend. Thanks for posting.
It's my pleasure :)

Yes it absolutely does! I didn't know till a few years ago myself :( Most people just think fats contribute to high cholesterol.
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
How does using seasoning salt, which has salt in it, mean you will decrease your salt intake? I keep a bottle of seasoning salt in the cupboard just because sometimes I don't feel like grabbing six bottles of specific spices along with the saltbox, but I really didn't think I was using less salt just because it was in a blend. Not that I'm worried about my salt intake, I just don't see the correlation. It would seem you should substitute one of those salt alternatives for the sea salt.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
It's my pleasure :)

Yes it absolutely does! I didn't know till a few years ago myself :( Most people just think fats contribute to high cholesterol.

I looked this up. Here is what I found.
Heart Disease Clinic - Basics

"Salt
While salt itself does not contribute to high cholesterol levels, eating too much can cause high blood pressure that in turn is associated with heart disease and stroke. Therefore, it is worth cutting down on the amount you eat."
__________________
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:12 AM   #6
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
How does using seasoning salt, which has salt in it, mean you will decrease your salt intake? I keep a bottle of seasoning salt in the cupboard just because sometimes I don't feel like grabbing six bottles of specific spices along with the saltbox, but I really didn't think I was using less salt just because it was in a blend. Not that I'm worried about my salt intake, I just don't see the correlation. It would seem you should substitute one of those salt alternatives for the sea salt.
Maybe not all seasoning salts but this combination I find is very flavourful and I use the same amount of this seasoning salt as I would actual salt therefore reducing the amount of salt I use. Celery seed also has a naturally salty taste.
(P.S Thanks for the tip on salt alternatives, haven't heard of them till now will look for one!)
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:22 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
I looked this up. Here is what I found.
Heart Disease Clinic - Basics

"Salt
While salt itself does not contribute to high cholesterol levels, eating too much can cause high blood pressure that in turn is associated with heart disease and stroke. Therefore, it is worth cutting down on the amount you eat."
Over use of sodium does in fact raise LDL Cholesterol levels. I was advised by my cardiologist to reduce my salt intake.

Here's another link Foods that raise cholesterol

Cholesterol is divided into 2 kinds of cholesterol. LDL (bad cholesterol) and HDL (good cholesterol)

Enough about that, that's a whole other thread.
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:15 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Gotcha. A pinch of seasoning, or seasoned salt would contain less actual salt than a pinch of straight salt.

I never really liked the flavor of salt substitute, but I'll bet it would work well in a recipe such as yours. Like sugar substitutes, it's just not quite the same.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:14 AM   #9
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Gotcha. A pinch of seasoning, or seasoned salt would contain less actual salt than a pinch of straight salt.

I never really liked the flavor of salt substitute, but I'll bet it would work well in a recipe such as yours. Like sugar substitutes, it's just not quite the same.
I can't stand sugar substitutes, sugar free drinks, margerine, fat free dairy etc. I'd rather have a little of the real thing than lots of the so called almost good for you junk
__________________

__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe, salt, seasoning

Odette's Seasoning Salt I started making my own seasoning salt when I found out I had chronic high cholesterol and I thought it might be a good idea to share it since most of us can do with less salt in our diets but don't want to miss out on flavour. Seasoning salt 1 and a half cups of coarse sea salt 3/4 cup of thyme 1 tbs of coriander seeds 1 tbs of black peppercorns 1 tbs of mustard powder 1 tbs of paprika 2 tbs of celery seed Blend all ingredients well and pour into empty salt grinder bottles. Good on meat. eggs, pasta, stews, sauces and soups. Variation for fish, chicken and cheese dishes.... Change thyme for lemon thyme, add 2 tsps of dried lemon zest and 1 tbs of sesame seeds. The rest of the ingredients stay the same. Please feel free to share your own spice and herb blends :) 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.