Offsetting garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HolyCanoli

Cook
I put a little too much garlic powder in my veggie soup...how can I offset or counteract that to make it not be so overwhelming?

I'm afraid Steve is right. Depending on how strong it is, diluting it with more of the liquid you used short of doubling it might work.

You can also ladle off half the soup stock and freeze for another time or even a different recipe. Add in some new plain stock to replace. Then you won't have twice as much as you planned to make for the veggie soup.

In our house, it would probably be well received. We like garlic. A lot!
But if we over did it, it would be with fresh garlic as we never use granulated/powder garlic in soup.

But I do understand your problem. The suggestions above seem like your only recourse.

Last edited:
In our house, it would probably be well received. We like garlic. A lot!But if we over did it, it would be with fresh garlic as we never use granulated/powder garlic in soup.

But I do understand your problem. The suggestions above seem like your only recourse.

The motto of our family is "You can never have too much garlic." With three in the family with a heart attack history, we just love garlic. :angel:

I like a lot of garlic, too, but I think there can be too much of a good thing. DH used to go overboard with it and it burned my mouth. Not good eats.

Ya I never use garlic powder. There's something about that isn't 'garlically'
My favorite way of using lots of fresh garlic is to chop off the root part of the garlic leaving the whole bulb intact. In a SS pan put in a T of olive oil. Med to low heat. Set the bulbs cut end down on the pan. VERY slowly cook the bulbs until they are very soft. Remove and gently squeeze out the garlic from the bulbs. Use it however you want.

I like a lot of garlic, too, but I think there can be too much of a good thing. DH used to go overboard with it and it burned my mouth. Not good eats.

I always precook garlic before I mix it in other foods like mashed potatoes, etc. Like you, NEVER raw. :angel:

Thats the issue I'm having with it Puffin...it doesnt taste like the fresh stuff :( Decided to split it, add more liquid and freeze half. Looks like I'll be eating veggie soup until next winter ;)

Glad you found a solution, Holy! I've found that adding V-8 or tomato juice to marginal vegetable soup seems to help.

Last edited:
The motto of our family is "You can never have too much garlic." With three in the family with a heart attack history, we just love garlic. :angel:

And its healthy to boot. We cannot lose!

You mean raw garlic? I am trying to understand how it could burn your mouth?

I always precook garlic before I mix it in other foods like mashed potatoes, etc. Like you, NEVER raw. :angel:

I used to be like that. Then one day I just added raw crushed garlic to mashed potato's and i have never looked back. I do like roasted garlic as well. But it needs no cooking for me.
I also make garlic butter and use raw. Just mashed up garlic, parsley and butter whipped up together.

I used to be like that. Then one day I just added raw crushed garlic to mashed potato's and i have never looked back. I do like roasted garlic as well. But it needs no cooking for me.
I also make garlic butter and use raw. Just mashed up garlic, parsley and butter whipped up together.

That's the only way I can think to describe it. It was an unpleasant burning sensation. I don't like raw garlic, though, unless it's minced very fine or mashed to a paste and mixed with other ingredients.

Since we are on the subject, can I roast a full bulb of garlic, squeeze it all out and freeze it by the spoonfull? I love it in tuna and other foods for a sandwich, etc. but don't want to take the time to cook some when I just want to make something quick to eat. :angel:

Since we are on the subject, can I roast a full bulb of garlic, squeeze it all out and freeze it by the spoonfull? I love it in tuna and other foods for a sandwich, etc. but don't want to take the time to cook some when I just want to make something quick to eat. :angel:

Yes.

Sure. I get the big bag of garlic from Costco, roast a bunch of bulbs, and squeeze them all into a ziplock that I flatten, then freeze. Then I can just break off a chunk when I want some.

There was a short blip on ATK or Cook's country, if you microwave garlic to 140 degrees F, it will not be hot when cut/crushed/sliced. They mentioned it also works with onions.

There was a short blip on ATK or Cook's country, if you microwave garlic to 140 degrees F, it will not be hot when cut/crushed/sliced. They mentioned it also works with onions.

Yup. Cooked garlic is milder than raw garlic.

And its healthy to boot. We cannot lose!

But do you let others know about the raw garlic in the butter? Like GG and myself who do not like raw garlic, I doubt is either one of us would want to find it on a piece of bread or toast. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom