Old Bay seasoning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
I remembered Old Bay seasoning when I was a kid in Maryland. Nigella suggested using it for fried Calamari, I had to look for it. It was well worth it, I suggest everyone keep a can on hand. Just my two cents.

Agree completely with you. When Buck and I moved from Maryland 14 years ago, we made certain to have a nice big can of Old Bay in our food boxes. Fortunately for us, it's readily available here in our little old Wal-Mart. It's great for all sorts of things besides Maryland blue crabs.

I always have Old Bay on hand. I use it for boiled shrimp, fish, and crab, really any kind of seafood.

And in case you can't find it in your local store:

Old Bay Seasoning(Copycat)

Makes 1/2 cup

2 tablespoons bay leaf powder
2 tablespoons celery salt
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons sweet paprika -- or smoked paprika is even better
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. Combine all ingredients in an airtight jar, mix thoroughly.
2. Keep sealed until ready to use.
3. To give as a gift, place in a pretty jar, along with some recipes. This would look nice in a basket, maybe with some measuring spoons, and ingredients for one of the recipes you give. Enjoy!

Description: Traditionally, this seasoning is used for steamed crabs, but is now used for fish, potato salad, potatoes, and other vegetables.

Source: Recipezaar.com Recipe #189447

Note: For "bay leaf powder" just crush up some bay leaves.

I always have a can on hand. A friend gave me a shaker of Penzey's version for a hostess gift last summer. It goes with any shellfish and most other kinds of fish as well. Grew up with a can of it in the pantry when I was a kid.

I use it on grilled kielbasa

img_834115_0_65f11b3834e6383f6a7decbe01f4fc35.jpg

good stuff to experiment with :chef:

I'd have never thought of kielbasa--I'll try that.

I put it in the bread crumbs that I dip the egg washed fish filets for frying after a fishing trip. Bluegills and crappies.

Living in LA we use a lot of Tony Chachere's seasoning but for seafood I will mix Tony's with Old Bay.

Back
Top Bottom