"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

I use the smaller parsley stems with the leaves. I save the larger stems for flavoring dishes or stock.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #12
Master Chef

As GotGarlic just mentioned, 1/4 cup of dried parsley = 3/4 cup fresh chopped or minced. That really is NOT a lot of parsley, especially since parsley is a very mild-flavored herb. If I were you, I'd definitely chop up 3/4 cup of your fresh parsley & use it.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
The thing is - with fresh parsley you don't want it to cook for a really long time. You can add some of that in as you are cooking but save some to add at the end for that extra dose of brightness - say 30 minutes before the dish is done - I am assuming this is your slow cooker recipe.

1/4 cup of parsley isn't too much, IMHO, for your ingredients.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

3/4 cup fresh total.......1/2 Cup 30 minutes before....1/4 cup 5 minutes before....Let's eat!!!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I ended up being too overwhelmed to chop parsley. My crock pot wasn't big enough so I had to go with big pot in the oven one more step and I'd have had to shoot myself. I've had it cooking in the oven at 225 all day so the parsley, used fresh, would not have survived.

I'm going to dry what I bought and crumble it back in the empty jar.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:53 PM   #16
Master Chef

Why dry what you bought? Fresh parsley lasts a long time in the crisper drawer of a fridge. And dry parsley is just so so sad - doesn't even come close to fresh. If I were you & didn't want to save it, I'd throw it away before I bothered drying it.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Well, I would rather dry it then toss it. I use parsley very rarely and I don't foresee a need anytime soon. At least if I dry it I'll have it around.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #18
Sous Chef

yeah I dont get the dried parsely thing. The stuff we get in stores is useless. dont know if it's better being homemade.

One alternate idea would be to chop it and put in icecubes in the freezer. That might keep longer.

A few weeks ago I did an experiment with storing parsley in the fridge w/ wet napkin and covered in a bag. It lasted 3 week easy, probably made four. If you cant use parsley in fourweeks then..I dunno..
Old 03-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #19
Master Chef

I like fresh parsley, I eat them raw , freshens breath too.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:14 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
i buy dried parsley by the pound! I have an herbed dinner roll recipe, makes 12 rolls, that uses 2 T. of dried parsley, so I use a lot of dried parsley.

One question for fresh use. Since parsley is a relative of celery, when I use fresh parsley, I use the whole plant, stem and all. I end up using a lot of small celery like parts. They taste just like parsley. No more throwing away those bare tree branch looking parts. Do any one else use the copious amount of parsley branches?
I do, and will keep them in a separate ziploc bag and add them to soups, etc. Celery is in such short supply now and very expensive over here. The Kazakhs make the most wonderful soups---I wonder what they're using to substitute.........

Tags
None