"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Penzey's Help

I am creating my first order, ever, for Penzeys. I would love some ideas for what members have tried and liked.

Thank you!
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I am creating my first order, ever, for Penzeys. I would love some ideas for what members have tried and liked.

Thank you!
I'm lucky to be within about 30 minutes of a Penzeys store. I go their more often than I should.

I like their 'Four S' Seasoned Salt, Sweet Curry Powder, Tellicherry Peppercorns.

I buy just about all of my spices, dried chilies and dried herbs there.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Our last 2 orders:

Qty Item
Description

Price

Extension
1 44684 Powdered China #1 Ginger 8 oz. Bag $7.89 $7.89
1 57912 Sesame Black Indian 1 lb. Bag $7.50 $7.50
1 55318 Mustard Seed Yellow 1 lb. Bag $4.60 $4.60
1 00002C $-5.00 $-5.00
1 52283 Ceylon Cloves Whole 8 oz. Bag $11.05 $11.05
1 30762 Chives 1 oz. Bag $5.35 $5.35
1 30346 Bay Leaf Whole 4 oz. Bag $6.99 $6.99
1 56789 Whole Sarawak White Peppercorns 8 oz. bag
$9.15 $9.15
1 56881 Whole Special Extra Bold Indian Black Peppercorns 8 oz. bag
$8.55 $8.55
1 44484 Garlic Powder Granulated 8 oz. Bag $5.59 $5.59
1 47580 Hungarian Sweet Kulonleges Paprika 8 oz. bag
$7.89 $7.89
1 47685 Hungarian Half-Sharp Paprika 8 oz. bag
$7.89 $7.89
SUBTOTAL
$77.45
SHIPPING
$10.50

Qty Item
Description
Price
Extension
1 30241 Basil French 4 oz. Bag $5.59 $5.59
1 56717 Whole Sarawak White Peppercorns 1 lb. bag
$17.30 $17.30
1 33084 Rosemary Whole 8 oz. Bag $6.55 $6.55
1 33147 Rosemary Cracked 4 oz. Bag $4.29 $4.29
1 33284 Rosemary Powdered 8 oz. Bag $7.29 $7.29
1 57817 Sesame White Mexican 1 lb. Bag $4.70 $4.70
1 57983 Sesame Black Indian 8 oz. Bag $4.25 $4.25
3 42314 Natural Cocoa Powder 1 lb. Bag $7.50 $22.50
1 11284 Medium Hot Chili Powder 8 oz. Bag $8.69 $8.69
1 42785 Cumin Ground 8 oz. Bag $7.89 $7.89
1 44684 Powdered China #1 Ginger 8 oz. Bag $7.89 $7.89
1 55389 Mustard Seed Yellow 8 oz. Bag $2.79 $2.79
1 55518 Mustard Seed Brown 1 lb. Bag $4.60 $4.60
1 31785 Oregano Broken Leaf Turkish 8 oz. Bag $10.19$10.19
1 31880 Oregano Mexican 8 oz. Bag $10.19$10.19
1 47519 Hungarian Sweet Kulonleges Paprika 1 lb. bag
$14.80$14.80
SUBTOTAL
$139.51
SHIPPING
$13.95
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
Their pork chop seasoning is quite good, great for when you just want to season porkchops and cook 'em with very little fuss.

Their smoked seasoned salt is excellent too.
__________________
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Nice thing about Penzeys is that they list the ingredients in their spice / herb mixes, which facilitates making up your own mix if you have the ingredients.
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm lucky to be within about 30 minutes of a Penzeys store. I go their more often than I should.

I like their 'Four S' Seasoned Salt, Sweet Curry Powder, Tellicherry Peppercorns.

I buy just about all of my spices, dried chilies and dried herbs there.
Thank You, Andy!

I've tasted the 'Four S,' courtesy of my supervisor, which led me to looking them up. I got my catalog and am just about silly with circling, I know I can't get all of it, hence my request for help!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Our last 2 orders:

Qty Item
Description

Price

Extension
1 44684 Powdered China #1 Ginger 8 oz. Bag $7.89 $7.89
1 57912 Sesame Black Indian 1 lb. Bag $7.50 $7.50
1 55318 Mustard Seed Yellow 1 lb. Bag $4.60 $4.60
1 00002C $-5.00 $-5.00
1 52283 Ceylon Cloves Whole 8 oz. Bag $11.05 $11.05
1 30762 Chives 1 oz. Bag $5.35 $5.35
1 30346 Bay Leaf Whole 4 oz. Bag $6.99 $6.99
1 56789 Whole Sarawak White Peppercorns 8 oz. bag
$9.15 $9.15
1 56881 Whole Special Extra Bold Indian Black Peppercorns 8 oz. bag
$8.55 $8.55
1 44484 Garlic Powder Granulated 8 oz. Bag $5.59 $5.59
1 47580 Hungarian Sweet Kulonleges Paprika 8 oz. bag
$7.89 $7.89
1 47685 Hungarian Half-Sharp Paprika 8 oz. bag
$7.89 $7.89
SUBTOTAL
$77.45
SHIPPING
$10.50

Qty Item
Description
Price
Extension
1 30241 Basil French 4 oz. Bag $5.59 $5.59
1 56717 Whole Sarawak White Peppercorns 1 lb. bag
$17.30 $17.30
1 33084 Rosemary Whole 8 oz. Bag $6.55 $6.55
1 33147 Rosemary Cracked 4 oz. Bag $4.29 $4.29
1 33284 Rosemary Powdered 8 oz. Bag $7.29 $7.29
1 57817 Sesame White Mexican 1 lb. Bag $4.70 $4.70
1 57983 Sesame Black Indian 8 oz. Bag $4.25 $4.25
3 42314 Natural Cocoa Powder 1 lb. Bag $7.50 $22.50
1 11284 Medium Hot Chili Powder 8 oz. Bag $8.69 $8.69
1 42785 Cumin Ground 8 oz. Bag $7.89 $7.89
1 44684 Powdered China #1 Ginger 8 oz. Bag $7.89 $7.89
1 55389 Mustard Seed Yellow 8 oz. Bag $2.79 $2.79
1 55518 Mustard Seed Brown 1 lb. Bag $4.60 $4.60
1 31785 Oregano Broken Leaf Turkish 8 oz. Bag $10.19$10.19
1 31880 Oregano Mexican 8 oz. Bag $10.19$10.19
1 47519 Hungarian Sweet Kulonleges Paprika 1 lb. bag
$14.80$14.80
SUBTOTAL
$139.51
SHIPPING
$13.95
Thank You, JPBill!

I see you like the ginger. What do you use the mustard seeds for? What is the heat level on the Med Hot Chili Powder? Last question, Half-Sharp Paprika, what is that like?
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Their pork chop seasoning is quite good, great for when you just want to season porkchops and cook 'em with very little fuss.

Their smoked seasoned salt is excellent too.
Thank You, BakeChef!

Is it called Pork Chop Seasoning? and Is the smoked season salt the same as the 'Four S' or something else?
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
i just got a gift box i ordered for a christmas present. grill and broil in four jar box. i order off and on. can't afford to much at once.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Nice thing about Penzeys is that they list the ingredients in their spice / herb mixes, which facilitates making up your own mix if you have the ingredients.
That's exactly what I was thinking! The catalog, aside from my scribbling will become part of my cookbook collection. I think I will buy a couple of blends to taste them before I try to recreate them.

Thanks, again!
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
herbs, recipe, spices

Penzey's Help I am creating my first order, ever, for Penzeys. I would love some ideas for what members have tried and liked.:smile: Thank you! 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.