Penzeys Mail-order

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the input. Cheaper is always good, so is more flavor because I'll equate that to not using as much... cheaper yet.
I think I'll see what I'm running low on, besides peppercorns, and get an order placed with them.

Depending on your palate you may find some of Penzys cheaper varieties more pleasant than the more expensive ones. For example we prefer their cheaper cinnamon to the more expensive one.

I have heard rave reviews on this site about Penzey's but have never ordered anything from them yet. The prices seem quite a bit high.

I still recommend going to local ethnic stores to buy spices. I buy mine at Hispanic stores and also Indian stores. The spices are great quality and at a steal of a price.

I only buy whole spices (the only exception is turmeric). Even chili powder I grind my own. I have close to two dozen (if not more) whole spices in my pantry and I just dry roast them quickly for a minute in the microwave to release the oils and then it goes in my coffee grinder and into the dish I am making. It could not be easier and the spices stay fresh for ever.

Check out your local stores if you have one where you live. For those who live in Chicago suburbs, check out Vali produce, they have whole spices at super affordable rates.

Penzey has very good paprika at a reasonable price. Many of us who live in the boonies do not have the luxury of patronizing ethnic shops. Furthermore, with the advent of concerns over materials like melamine, QC is becoming a more prominent issue. With the decline in the dollar it's not surprising that Penzeys prices have gone up.

I have been using Penzey's for years and have never been disappointed in either quality or price. One of my favorites is the Vietnamese cinnamon, it is exceptional.

We have a Penzey's a stone's throw away from our house here in Pittsburgh. The hours are terrible, though so it's hard for me to get there. I'm not normally a fan of blends either, but they have a seaoned salt that I am obsessed with. IT is called "Fox Point" and it's so good that I keep in in my purse for when we are eating out. It is also great in recipes like quiche and for marinades and salad dressings. I love it on a good hoagie, too!

Ingredients:
salt, shallots, chives, garlic, onion and green peppercorns

Penzey has very good paprika at a reasonable price. Many of us who live in the boonies do not have the luxury of patronizing ethnic shops. Furthermore, with the advent of concerns over materials like melamine, QC is becoming a more prominent issue. With the decline in the dollar it's not surprising that Penzeys prices have gone up.

Try their Smoked Sweet Paprika.

Paprika, good. So far I have some kosher salt in my shopping cart, because I used up the last of my Morton's in my new salt cellar yesterday, and the tellicherry peppercorns. I've been meaning to try this smoked paprika I hear and read so much about. I'm glad it was mentioned. I bet it's great on sunny-side-up eggs. And other things ;^)

The Smoked Spanish Paprika is my favorite spice from them.

The onion and garlic powder is stuff I go through a lot of too.

In particular, I go through a lot of Florida seasoned pepper, Adobo, and their chili powder.

As well as garlic, onion, thyme, peppercorns, mexican oregano and bay leaves.

I use a lot of onion powder when I do ribs, I'll throw that in the cart, too. And try their garlic, but I see it is granules and not powder...

so where do y'all keep your spices? I see a lot of them come in a bag. Do you need to pinch them out each time or put them in an old shaker?

You have a couple of choices. Buy a bottle of a spice and if you like it, buy a larger quantity in a bag and refill the bottle. OR Buy empty bottles and fill them from the bags.

You have a couple of choices. Buy a bottle of a spice and if you like it, buy a larger quantity in a bag and refill the bottle. OR Buy empty bottles and fill them from the bags.

Bottle? That must be the "jar" choice I see. About twice the $ amount and half the amount of spice. I take it the jar has the usual shaker top?
I suppose I could call them, too...

I use a lot of onion powder when I do ribs, I'll throw that in the cart, too. And try their garlic, but I see it is granules and not powder...

so where do y'all keep your spices? I see a lot of them come in a bag. Do you need to pinch them out each time or put them in an old shaker?

They sell garlic powder. Believe me. I always have a bag of it on hand.
Spices at Penzeys Spices Garlic

I keep some in the bag, but mostly I transfer to bottles .

Thanks jennyema. The word granulated threw me off. When I see granulated I think of something similar to sugar.

Well, looks like I'll need to downsize my order to get the jars with the shaker lids. Thanks UB.

Back
Top Bottom