"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 10-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
You may well use more or at aleast use their stuff more frequently because it tastes soo good.
Interesting point!

Old 10-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks for the input. Cheaper is always good, so is more flavor because I'll equate that to not using as much... cheaper yet.
I think I'll see what I'm running low on, besides peppercorns, and get an order placed with them.
Depending on your palate you may find some of Penzys cheaper varieties more pleasant than the more expensive ones. For example we prefer their cheaper cinnamon to the more expensive one.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
I have heard rave reviews on this site about Penzey's but have never ordered anything from them yet. The prices seem quite a bit high.

I still recommend going to local ethnic stores to buy spices. I buy mine at Hispanic stores and also Indian stores. The spices are great quality and at a steal of a price.

I only buy whole spices (the only exception is turmeric). Even chili powder I grind my own. I have close to two dozen (if not more) whole spices in my pantry and I just dry roast them quickly for a minute in the microwave to release the oils and then it goes in my coffee grinder and into the dish I am making. It could not be easier and the spices stay fresh for ever.

Check out your local stores if you have one where you live. For those who live in Chicago suburbs, check out Vali produce, they have whole spices at super affordable rates.

Penzey has very good paprika at a reasonable price. Many of us who live in the boonies do not have the luxury of patronizing ethnic shops. Furthermore, with the advent of concerns over materials like melamine, QC is becoming a more prominent issue. With the decline in the dollar it's not surprising that Penzeys prices have gone up.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #24
Senior Cook

I have been using Penzey's for years and have never been disappointed in either quality or price. One of my favorites is the Vietnamese cinnamon, it is exceptional.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #25
Sous Chef

We have a Penzey's a stone's throw away from our house here in Pittsburgh. The hours are terrible, though so it's hard for me to get there. I'm not normally a fan of blends either, but they have a seaoned salt that I am obsessed with. IT is called "Fox Point" and it's so good that I keep in in my purse for when we are eating out. It is also great in recipes like quiche and for marinades and salad dressings. I love it on a good hoagie, too!

Ingredients:
salt, shallots, chives, garlic, onion and green peppercorns
Old 10-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Penzey has very good paprika at a reasonable price. Many of us who live in the boonies do not have the luxury of patronizing ethnic shops. Furthermore, with the advent of concerns over materials like melamine, QC is becoming a more prominent issue. With the decline in the dollar it's not surprising that Penzeys prices have gone up.

Try their Smoked Sweet Paprika.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Paprika, good. So far I have some kosher salt in my shopping cart, because I used up the last of my Morton's in my new salt cellar yesterday, and the tellicherry peppercorns. I've been meaning to try this smoked paprika I hear and read so much about. I'm glad it was mentioned. I bet it's great on sunny-side-up eggs. And other things ;^)
Old 10-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #28
Chief Eating Officer

The Smoked Spanish Paprika is my favorite spice from them.

The onion and garlic powder is stuff I go through a lot of too.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

I use their onion powder and toasted onion flakes when I make onion bagels.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:05 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Their black sesame seeds add a nice nutty flavor to the topping on my home baked Italian bread.

Tags
None