Penzeys Mail-order

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The original Spice House is located in Milwaukee, WI on 3rd Street. It was started by Bill and Pam's parents a long time ago. Actually, the present store is across the street from the first, but still on 3rd Street. Some time ago, the parents moved the short distance across the street. I believe the parents still own a small place in Brookfield, but I'm not sure.

We started shopping at The Spice House about 30 years ago. We drove up from Illinois a couple time a year to do this.

The daughter, Pam and her husband, own The Spice House stores and Bill, the son, owns Penzey's. I see really no significant difference in the products other than one may have some blends that are unique to it.

I have always found the spices to be of the best quality and the staffs to be very knowlegable.

I'm happy to see so many more positives than negatives here. I don't think I've ever mail ordered from them, but when we go to Madison, we always stop there. In the stores you can actually smell and sample the spices, which is a lot of fun. This summer a guest mail-ordered a package as a hostess gift for me, and the presentation was to die for. The jars of spices were packed in bay leaves and whole nutmegs. It was beautiful. Plus almost all of it was delicious. Plus one of the spices was called "Galena Street spice rub." I always buy my family food from the tri-state area, and this will be a welcome addition to the food package.

Oh, by "almost all" I meant that the only thing inedible in the packaging was the cardboard box! All the spices were yummy.

Yes - their gift packages are lovely. All those bay leaves & cinnamon sticks &/or nutmegs!!
I've sent several Penzey gifts & they've always been very well received.

I just placed another order with them, my second. There were a few more things I wanted to pick up as I transition to their spices. Very fast delivery via mail and I got another comp spice to try out. Man.... just opening the box..... You know the smell I'm talking about. Nice.
I also got a gift card for my sister. It came with a large envelope with a print on it and one of their catalogs inside, plus a catalog for me. Yeah, I like Penzeys. Nice mail order store.

Glad you're satisfied. Hope you'll try the different varieties of many of their spices.

Well, I've got a bottle of curry powder sitting in my cupboard for the first time (that I ordered) and a bottle of Turkish spice (that they gave me) :)

Well, I've got a bottle of curry powder sitting in my cupboard for the first time (that I ordered) and a bottle of Turkish spice (that they gave me) :)
I meant more like the different varieties of the same spice eg Indonesian Korintje versus Ceylon Cinnamon or their natural high fat cocoa versus their Dutch process. Hagan Daz vanilla ice cream with stewed strawberries topped with the natural high fat cocoa powder makes a tasty treat.

I just placed another order with them, my second. There were a few more things I wanted to pick up as I transition to their spices. Very fast delivery via mail and I got another comp spice to try out. Man.... just opening the box..... You know the smell I'm talking about. Nice.
I also got a gift card for my sister. It came with a large envelope with a print on it and one of their catalogs inside, plus a catalog for me. Yeah, I like Penzeys. Nice mail order store.
So what did you purchasein this order?

So what did you purchasein this order?

Curry powder (now I need to find that recipe that required it :rolleyes:), chili powder, as the chili powder I had been using seems to have lost its zing, I'll be trying theirs out this upcoming week in some chili, and that gift card. Nothing extravagant or in quantity as I'm still using up my old spices. They'll get used up quickly in rubs where they are combined with several other spices, but I find myself reaching for the Penzeys' spices that I already have quite a bit. Opening up their granulated garlic is like smelling fresh, but you already know that ;)

Did you get the mild, med, or hot chili powder? You will love that stuff. It is amazing. I could almost just eat it by the spoonful.

Good question. I'll have to look.
Knowing me, I probably got whatever sounded closest to "regular" chili powder, so I can do a fair comparison.

2008 Penzeys Order

And the government is worried about deflation?
My 2008 order, listed below, completes or replenishes my inventory of most of what Penzeys offers:

img_725782_0_9d52ade730850f18ac39a901da849051.jpg

I love Penzey's. We have a wonderful relatively new store. I recently bought a pound of poppy seeds--excellent quality for $7.50. They do not grind them--luckily I have a poppy seed mill but I was so happy with them.

I also have bought cocoa and different cinnamons, whole nutmeg.

I also have bought Middle Eastern Za-atar.

I love their stuff. I can't wait to use up my Hungarian paprika to see whether I like Penzey's better.

Back
Top Bottom