"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 10-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #51
Senior Cook

Penzeys is tops for quality. They have dropped a favorite of mine which was ground Turkish Bay leaves. Speaking of which the Whole Turkish Bay leaves themselves are unbelievable.

I love their peppers. I use a fair bit of white pepper and their Malasian white Sarawak is better than any I have found from any other source.

We have a lot of ethnic stores here but I find that Penzeys has better quality.

For years , as an example, I used white peppercorns from the Asian groceries here. Then I found the above white from Penzeys. There really isn't a way for me to describe the difference.

Someone commented on the Cooks Illustrated comparison of peppers. Yes they really liked Penzeys tellicherry but as is typical of their testing, only tellicherry was tested and then only from east coast centric brands. They really don't seem to know that some of us Americans actually live west of the Mississippi. I shouldn't pick on them, they actually do good work, although perhaps geographically challanged.

We can't have a Penzeys here in Seattle so I drive to Portland from time to time and visit theirs. Between 400 miles of gas and theusual $100+ I spend there I am not sure I can comment on the cheap prices. We do have a top quality spice house here in Seattle called World and I still buy from Penzeys, go figure.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

I just got my order in today. Everything smelled great, especially the smoked paprika, but the powdered garlic did not have much of a smell...
Sure tastes like fresh garlic though (lol).

Old 10-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Hope you enjoy your goodies. Sometimes it pays to buy coarser cuts / grinds of some of Penzey's stuff because it keeps somewhat better. To get more mileage out of some of their stuff you can work it over in a mortar & pestle. I do that with dehydrated garlic, sage, rosemary, etc. The stuff that I finely powder seems to stick better to things like pork butt being prepared for roasting and to impart more flavor in salad dressing mixes. Hope you find the Penzey catalog makes interesting reading.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:18 AM   #54
Cook

I started using Penzey's spices exclusively in the early summer and I'm sold. I love their adobo in guacamole, just a teaspoon and it takes it to another level. Vietnam Cassia Cinnamon is outstanding, just a 1/4 of a teaspoon in pancake batter and they can't be beat. Their salad dressing blends are outstanding and we love their horseradish sauce mix. I usually mix up a batch when I grill ribeyes and we lick the bowl clean. I've started looking for recipes that I can use their spices in. Try the recipes in the catalog, I've haven't tried a bad one yet. We routinely drive 200 miles round trip to go to one of their sticks and bricks stores.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #55
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Has anyone ever used "The Spice House"? I just found out about Penzy's through this thread wand will try them. I had been using spice house and was hoping for a comparason.

AC
Old 10-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #56
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Has anyone ever used "The Spice House"? I just found out about Penzy's through this thread wand will try them. I had been using spice house and was hoping for a comparason.

AC
If you're into Saffron, it would be interesting to hear your opinion about Penzey's as compared to Spice House's.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #57
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillncook View Post
I love their adobo in guacamole, just a teaspoon and it takes it to another level.
I do the same thing with my guac. People love it, but can not put their finger on what is different about mine.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:08 AM   #58
Sous Chef

I've tried The Spice House. I believe it's run by Bill Penzey's Sister Pam. If I'm not mistaken it's the original Penzey Spice Co. From what I understand, Bill went off to start his own spice company. It's a smaller company, much smaller. I have ordered from them but not for some years now.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:11 AM   #59
Chief Eating Officer

I have heard of the Spice House, but never used them myself. The things I have heard have been good.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post

AC

Yes. I go there with my mom when I am in Chicago.

I find them very similar. They are run by the same family as Penzey's.

Tags
None