Penzeys Mail-order

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justplainbill

Executive Chef
I've been buying spices, herbs cocoa, etc. from Penzeys for probably over a decade and have been consistently satisfied with their merchandise.

However I'm concerned that their increasing emphasis on value-added merchandise and interest in opening additional retail outlets may adversely impact the quality of their mail-order offerings.

Since it's about time for me to refill my stock of some of Penzeys wonderful ingredients, I'm wondering if any DC forum members have had any recent experiences with Penzeys that they'd care to share?

I have only been a customer for a couple of years but I haven't seen any drop in quality. My most recent order was last month.

I'm not a fan of their blends either. But the nice thing about their blends is that they tell you what's in them so you can make your own if you have a pantry that is well stocked with their basic ingredients

That's my point, and it's not just their blends that I'm not a fan of, it's anybody's.

I have been ordering online as well as shopping at one of their brick and mortar stores for a while now. I have nothing, but good thin gs to say about them.

The seasoning blends are a way form Penzeys to differentiate themselves from other purveyors. That's how they get you to shop with them instead of the competition, and to stay with them.

I use their stuff all the time and it's still top quality. I shop at a brick and mortar store near me and have used mail order in the past. No problems either way.

Can I ask what the big difference using Penzey's spices is?
It's been mentioned to me a few times that I start buying from them, but why? Are the flavors more robust, will I use less (which might throw me off at first), will their garlic powder (for instance) taste entirely different than a bottle of McCormicks garlic powder? I'm in need of some more peppercorns and have been meaning to start a thread asking for advice in this.

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but at least it's not totally off topic....

The quality is much better from Penzys then from your typical supermarket. The flavors are much better. the prices are also usually cheaper than your supermarket spices as well.

It's a matter of quality. Top spice houses use the best raw materials, while the discount houses use lower quality raw materials.

Try penzeys tellicherry peppercorns. You won't be disappointed.

Try penzeys tellicherry peppercorns. You won't be disappointed.
I think peppercorns is one of the best tests to see the difference. With grocery store peppercorns you get some heat. With Pensys peppercorns you actually get the pepper flavor plus the heat. Even just smelling the peppercorns will show you an amazing difference.

I like Penzys Extra Bold peppercorns myself.

GB is right on. Put some good peppercorns into your peppermill and grind. The aromas are surprising. I never use pre-ground pepper anymore. It has no taste in comparison.

I've been ordering Penzey's regularly for about a dozen years. I place 2 - 3 orders per year. They're quality is far superior then the grocery store spices IMO. Prices are more reasonable, although I've noticed that Penzey's prices are getting up there. They just had a sizable price increase.

The new Cook's Illustrated magazine (Nov.-Dec. 2008) has the results of a peppercorn tasting, and Penzey's was one of the top, if not the top (can't remember right now) finisher for flavor. The difference is that the peppercorns are allowed to ripen longer on the vine, so, like fresh garden tomatoes, they have more flavor.

Thanks for the input. Cheaper is always good, so is more flavor because I'll equate that to not using as much... cheaper yet.
I think I'll see what I'm running low on, besides peppercorns, and get an order placed with them.

I do not know how close or far this is for you pacanis, but they have a store in PA.

Philadelphia, PA

8528 Germantown Ave
(215) 247-0770

Mon.-Sat.: 10:00AM - 6:00PM
Sun.: 11:00AM - 5:00PM

The great thing about the store is you can go and stick your nose in the spices and spell the difference right away.

I have heard rave reviews on this site about Penzey's but have never ordered anything from them yet. The prices seem quite a bit high.

I still recommend going to local ethnic stores to buy spices. I buy mine at Hispanic stores and also Indian stores. The spices are great quality and at a steal of a price.

I only buy whole spices (the only exception is turmeric). Even chili powder I grind my own. I have close to two dozen (if not more) whole spices in my pantry and I just dry roast them quickly for a minute in the microwave to release the oils and then it goes in my coffee grinder and into the dish I am making. It could not be easier and the spices stay fresh for ever.

Check out your local stores if you have one where you live. For those who live in Chicago suburbs, check out Vali produce, they have whole spices at super affordable rates.

Welllll, it's in the same state anyway, GB :)
I'm over by Erie. And for all I know we might have one, but I'd just as soon mail order anyway. Thanks though.

Can I ask what the big difference using Penzey's spices is?
It's been mentioned to me a few times that I start buying from them, but why? Are the flavors more robust, will I use less (which might throw me off at first), will their garlic powder (for instance) taste entirely different than a bottle of McCormicks garlic powder? I'm in need of some more peppercorns and have been meaning to start a thread asking for advice in this.

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but at least it's not totally off topic....
You may well use more or at aleast use their stuff more frequently because it tastes soo good.

I use their stuff all the time and it's still top quality. I shop at a brick and mortar store near me and have used mail order in the past. No problems either way.

Me too. I was just there and forgot something so I lazily ordered it online. They often include a little bottle of something for free when you do mail order.

There prices generally even out to below the supermarket for me. And the quality is unbeatable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom