Pepper & Pepper Grinders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got my pepper grinder from a garage sale for about $0.50. Works quite well, like a good farm mule. I get my pepper corns wherever there is a good sale. Of course at my age I don't have the discriminating sense of smell or taste to tell one from another. :)

Coffee grinders are great for milling peppercorns, too. You can make the pepper as coarse or fine as you want. :clap:

Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet) used a Turkish hand cranked
coffee grinder for his pepper - it was a wooden box with a
drawer at the bottom, the pepper went into a hopper on the top
and fell down, ground, into the drawer.

Yes, I have seen those, but never for sale or in a garage sale. I do it the modern way, with electricity. :LOL:

Ok, don't think I'm cheap :ermm:, but I found black peppercorns with the grinder included in the same dispenser at Dollar Tree. That is what I'm using currently. It's nothing fancy, but it's still freshly ground black pepper. I also picked up one that grinds sea salt.

Hey, those things aren't half bad. Have you figured out how to re-use them? Then you would be getting great value. :LOL: I even found one with 5 different types of peppercorns. Slick. :)

I found one of these yesterday in my local HomeGoods discount housewares store for $9.95:
3413650191_d633f71983_o.jpg

Here's more info: prepara | products | 'water-resistant' mill. Retail price is around $20.

It's got a really attractive design and is washable/water-resistant, so you can use it when prepping meats without worrying so much about contamination. I've only had time to play with it for a few minutes, but the grind adjuster is very good and it appears to be well-made overall. I think I'm going to like it a lot.

i like the 5 pepper blend which includes whole allspice. i have a set of salt and pepper hand crank grinders cost $10 each when i got them. i love them. they now cost $22 each

img_809822_0_8d04e2373cd50fb5b2ab6fedb11c2190.jpg

Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet) used a Turkish hand cranked
coffee grinder for his pepper - it was a wooden box with a
drawer at the bottom, the pepper went into a hopper on the top
and fell down, ground, into the drawer.
this is the turkish coffee grinder i remember the "frug" using to grind pepper.

img_809823_0_711a46a4b168d7bd70641573a9791358.jpg

I think I will have to double up on my ginkgo biloba dosage.
I remembered a wood grinder.
This one pictured above is a real beauty.
:LOL: LOL

yup i have most of his cook books and i think there is a picture of it in one of the books. but i could be wrong. let me check this out.

I think I will have to double up on my ginkgo biloba dosage.
I remembered a wood grinder.
This one pictured above is a real beauty.

i found something

The Turkish Coffee Grinder, called "kahve degirmeni", has a long, tubular design, with burrs that grind the coffee to a powder. (This grinder was also adapted and popularized by Jeff Smith - The Frugal Gourmet - as a very effective high-output pepper mill.)

Turkish Coffee

scroll down page to the picture

:LOL: LOL

yup i have most of his cook books and i think there is a picture of it in one of the books. but i could be wrong. let me check this out.
i do remember a chef from the old PBS days that used a grinder like your talking about but i can't remember who. btw my aunt has one of those wooden "box" coffee grinders it mounts on the wall. the one she has is an antique.

Yes, son, but both those antiques probably work pretty well. I love the "box" wooden grinders. Memories can be such sweet things. Pull that little drawer out, and tap it with the heel of your hand as you put it on the food. Ahhh, a special moment.

Enjoy!

i like the 5 pepper blend which includes whole allspice. i have a set of salt and pepper hand crank grinders cost $10 each when i got them. i love them. they now cost $22 each

img_810024_0_8d04e2373cd50fb5b2ab6fedb11c2190.jpg

We have these same grinders. Ours is made by William Bounds and we've had them for well over 10 years. They have ceramic cutters and grind either fine, medium or coarse. After buying/using countless other grinders, we're more than pleased with the Bounds product.

We have these same grinders. Ours is made by William Bounds and we've had them for well over 10 years. They have ceramic cutters and grind either fine, medium or coarse. After buying/using countless other grinders, we're more than pleased with the Bounds product.
Katie, that mixture of types of peppercorns and sea salt is the perfect blend of salt and pepper. I like the fact you can see the spices in yours. Mine are in tall, stainless steel grinders. I have had them for years, and they still work so well that I can't justify replacing them.
Marty

Back
Top Bottom