Putting Up Basil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Putting Up Basil

Fresh basil leaves - washed and dried
Olive oil
Salt
Jars with tight fitting lids

Place a layer of salt in bottom of bottle, then a nice amount of olive oil (about 1/4 inch). Start pressing basil leaves one at a time into olive oil. After you have added enough leaves that they are almost sticking out of oil start the layers over. Add a layer of salt then oil then leaves. Repeat layers to just below top of bottle and end with salt and oil. Cover tightly and refrigerate. As you use the basil leaves add more salt and oil so you keep basil covered. I use the oil also to add flavor to dishes. Basil is preserved in the salt and oil and lasts a long time. I have had it last 2 years in the fridge keeping it covered with salt and oil.

if you know anyone with a baby get some small glass baby food jars and put up a couple. let me know what you think.
this basil stays almost fresh not dry. i like them in sauce rather than dry, crumbled up and disappear in the sauce. i like to SEE the leaves. dry basil looses flavor to quick. this stays strong in basil flavor and the infused oil is wonderful to fry in.

msmofet, do the leaves stay green?
yes!! the salt preserves it. the basil will stay green for a long time if you JUST REMEMBER as you use it ALWAYS replace the salt and olive oil never let the basil be uncovered. if it is left uncovered it will turn black and yucky. just throw those away if it happens and cover the green basil with salt and oil. use the basil infused oil (pour off what you need then replace with fresh salt and oil) for frying, salad dressing, brush the bread for brushetta, saute the garlic and onions for tomato sauce the possibilities are endless!!
i have used 2 year old basil kept this way (it got pushed to back of fridge and i discovered it 2 years later in one of those tiny 2 oz baby food jars that are easy to get lost in the fridge and it was still green and good to use).

okay, this is going to make me sound really stupid, but hey, what can I say?
can anyone tell me WHAT basil looks like when it comes out of the ground?
or send me a link to a picture??? my husband came in the other nite with
veggies from the community garden and handed me a bunch of 'mystery herb' (no, not THAT kind :0 ) and I have no clue what it is!!
and don't ask me to smell it because my sinuses are stuffed up like a
Thanksgiving turkey and I can't.
okay, I admit it, I have only ever used spices from **gasp** a jar!!
I'm a heathen, I know...but I have been planning to start my own herb
garden if the weather out here ever stabilizes, if that redeems me a little...

i have never seen or tried purple basil. anyone? how does it compare to the green basil?

okay, that's not it. it isn't rosemary, either...
I'm going to attempt to upload a picture of it.

mystery herb

S4300218.jpg

S4300220.jpg

S4300223.jpg

maybe it is rosemary...???

yep, it's thyme. yum yum! Great with chicken, pork. Use the leaves for the food, then throw the stems on the coals if grilling.

yep, it's thyme. yum yum! Great with chicken, pork. Use the leaves for the food, then throw the stems on the coals if grilling.
can use stems soaked in liquid (stock and/or water) first to skewer chicken kabobs to grill

well, I've got a crapload of the stuff, so how do I store it? it is pretty
dessicated already-I can just run my finger over it and separate the leaves
quite easily, but there is still a bit of moisture in them.

and thanx everyone - the last picture posted is identical.

Thyme dries easily. I made some drying screens out of 1x2's and screen fabric (stapled on) They stack, with the bottom screen having feet so the air circulates. or you could put them on a cookie sheet on a very LOW oven setting, or use a dehyrator. I've also hung them to dry, but since the leaves are coming off easily, you may lose some.

well, I've got a crapload of the stuff, so how do I store it? it is pretty
dessicated already-I can just run my finger over it and separate the leaves
quite easily, but there is still a bit of moisture in them.

and thanx everyone - the last picture posted is identical.
just strip the stems. put the leaves after you strip them from stems on a cookie sheet and just let them dry a bit. and then store in tight lid jar

Putting Up Basil

Fresh basil leaves - washed and dried
Olive oil
Salt
Jars with tight fitting lids

Place a layer of salt in bottom of bottle, then a nice amount of olive oil (about 1/4 inch). Start pressing basil leaves one at a time into olive oil. After you have added enough leaves that they are almost sticking out of oil start the layers over. Add a layer of salt then oil then leaves. Repeat layers to just below top of bottle and end with salt and oil. Cover tightly and refrigerate. As you use the basil leaves add more salt and oil so you keep basil covered. I use the oil also to add flavor to dishes. Basil is preserved in the salt and oil and lasts a long time. I have had it last 2 years in the fridge keeping it covered with salt and oil.

I don't mean to rain on this parade, but frankly, regardless of the safe 2-year lifespan you've had, I'd be much too afraid of botulism to try this method.

i have never seen or tried purple basil. anyone? how does it compare to the green basil?

I've grown both the "Opal" & "Purple Ruffle" varieties, but don't bother with them anymore except as an occasional fragrant ornamental addition to a border or container.

The purple varieties are VERY strongly clove scented, & since I'm not a big clove fan, I don't find them interesting or desirable to cook with. The green varieties are more complex in scent/taste, & I grow a variety of those - "Sweet Italian", "Genovese", "Lemon", "Lime", etc., etc. I love trying different GREEN varieties - lol!

But of course, this - like all things "food", boils down to personal taste. Others may love the scent/taste of purple basil. It just doesn't float my boat except for ornamental use. If you want to try it, many seed companies carry it, & it's just as easy to grow as the green types.

Back
Top Bottom