"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 07-08-2014, 04:04 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I was wondering about that. Rosemary vinegar would be safer.
I infused vodka with rosemary, lavender, and some red peppercorns a couple of years ago...it was wonderful after 3 weeks. The ratio was 2 parts rosemary to 3 parts lavender.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:03 AM   #42
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
During my catering days I would use rosemary stems as skewers for cubes of fish or prawns, brush them with a small amount of oil and grill them. We would serve them on the "skewer". It added a really nice flavour to the fish.
When I was working in the University Cafeteria, the Chef came up with those for a huge affair the school was sponsoring...I thought he was nuts, no accounting for other people's taste, etc. I don't know how many kabobs I made, looked like a forset on the table, but when all was done, there were few left and the kitchen staff, me included, were able to try them. Excellent.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
During my catering days I would use rosemary stems as skewers for cubes of fish or prawns, brush them with a small amount of oil and grill them. We would serve them on the "skewer". It added a really nice flavour to the fish.
Funny, I'm just the opposite, I think the flavor is over powering for delicate seafood.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #44
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Funny, I'm just the opposite, I think the flavor is over powering for delicate seafood.
That's the thing. The fact that the fish is just on the skewer of rosemary it just gets a tiny bit of flavour. As PF says, it doesn't sound appealing but is actually quite tasty. It was a favourite item on our menu.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I am with you Craig. I want to be able to taste the sea in my much loved seafood. To date, the only food I have found a use for Rosemary is lamb. Maybe I need to experiment more. I just can't get past the pine smell.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

We like to grill pork chops brushed with a mixture of Dijon mustard thyme. Then, after we turn them over, we top them with a sprig of rosemary. It infuses the pork with a light rosemary flavor. Delicious. I imagine that's what the seafood skewers taste like.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We like to grill pork chops brushed with a mixture of Dijon mustard thyme. Then, after we turn them over, we top them with a sprig of rosemary. It infuses the pork with a light rosemary flavor. Delicious. I imagine that's what the seafood skewers taste like.
That is what I mean, a very bold flavor that works its magic with strong meat flavors, but can be very overwhelming with seafood. Game, beef, lamb and pork work well with rosemary!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

I love the smell of this pork roast cooking. It uses a lot of milk, but the gravy is amazing and the rosemary on top--my stomach starts growling before the meat is done. I usually make this in the fall and winter a couple of times and it is one of my go-to mains for when I invite friends over.

Milk Pork : Recipes : Cooking Channel
Old 07-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I infused vodka with rosemary, lavender, and some red peppercorns a couple of years ago...it was wonderful after 3 weeks. The ratio was 2 parts rosemary to 3 parts lavender.
It made a great 'tini. I tasted it after a week and adjusted the amount of rosemary and lavender.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This is a very dangerous idea. You're likely to have a nice batch of rosemary-botulinum oil.
The oil and rosemary need to be heated but I can't give you heat or timings as I'm not at home to look it up.

Tags
rosemary

« Basil | Spice chart »