Rosemary Uses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish it out if you have used a sprig but if you have chopped it as finely as you possibly could then it will be absolutely fine. It just depends how you have used it. Chopped absolutely fine it is wonderful with potatoes for instance. Don't forget to add it to your bathwater for a little touch of luxury. Good for the boys as well as the girls because it doesn't have a 'flowery' scent but a rich herbal one. Wonderful as a hair rinse as well after shampooing

These are from seeds, they still have their baby leaves.
Hmm. What do the baby leaves look like? Is there a way you could take the plant, with all the earth, out of the pot, in such a way that you could put it back in the pot fairly undisturbed, to see how much the roots have grown?

Hmm. What do the baby leaves look like? Is there a way you could take the plant, with all the earth, out of the pot, in such a way that you could put it back in the pot fairly undisturbed, to see how much the roots have grown?

Here is what the biggest of them looks like...the pics are fuzzy, they were almost bone dry and I've lost one of them for sure. There are 4 left out of the whole packet...most never even sprouted.

Attachments

• pics 003.JPG
    pics 003.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 199
Here is what the biggest of them looks like...the pics are fuzzy, they were almost bone dry and I've lost one of them for sure. There are 4 left out of the whole packet...most never even sprouted.
Yeah, that's definitely baby leaves. :LOL:

Nope, no way to get those out of the "pots" safely. I have used peat pots, but I don't like them, because they don't really disappear when they are transplanted and then they cramp the roots. I wonder if that's what's happening with your pellet thingees. Yeah, they probably need more water at this stage than the ones with needle-like leaves.

Maybe someone who has grown rosemary from seed has some better advice than mine.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's definitely baby leaves. :LOL:

Nope, no way to get those out of the "pots" safely. I have used peat pots, but I don't like them, because they don't really disappear when they are transplanted and then they cramp the roots. I wonder if that's what's happening with your pellet thingees. Yeah, they probably need more water at this stage than the ones with needle-like leaves.

Maybe someone who has grown rosemary from seed has some better advice than mine.

I should have just been more patient and bought already grown seedlings.:rolleyes:

Thanks Andy, I'll look into those in the season...most likely will head to the garden center and get a couple grown ones for out front.

We see potted rosemary Christmas trees (about two feet high) at Costco during the holiday season. Then you have a multi-purpose plant-decoration and food.

I got one of those about 3 years ago! I decorated it with tiny little Christmas ornaments - it was the cutest little thing, and my house smelled so good every time I walked in. :)

Unfortunately, it only lived about 2 years. I think I overwatered it. I did get a lot of use out of it as far as cutting off sprigs for cooking, though.

Last edited:
Good for up to a month in the fridge. Done it many times....still here to talk about it..;)
One of many articles and recipes on the subject...http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/holidays/hanukkah/flavored-oils

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/m...INFUSED-OLIVE-OIL-GIADA-DE-LAURENTIIS-1212214

Refrigerating it is an important detail you left out. But here's some research-based information: http://fyi.uwex.edu/safepreserving/2013/12/02/safe-preserving-flavored-vinegars-and-oils/

Co-incidentally, I picked up some french tarragon while shopping today and will be making tarragon vinegar when I've been out to get the cider vinegar tomorrow.

They plant rosemary that become huge bushes between the multicolored blooming Oleander in the median strip of the freeway that leads from out here in the Heritage Valley to the ocean. It's a beautiful drive, and smells heavenly with the windows down. It never gets artificially watered and it's doing fine, even in our terrible drought. That should tell you how much water it really needs.

Rosemary is my second to last favorite herb, the last being tarragon that I can't stand at all.

During my catering days I would use rosemary stems as skewers for cubes of fish or prawns, brush them with a small amount of oil and grill them. We would serve them on the "skewer". It added a really nice flavour to the fish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom