Rosemary Uses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
During my catering days I would use rosemary stems as skewers for cubes of fish or prawns, brush them with a small amount of oil and grill them. We would serve them on the "skewer". It added a really nice flavour to the fish.

When I was working in the University Cafeteria, the Chef came up with those for a huge affair the school was sponsoring...I thought he was nuts, no accounting for other people's taste, etc. I don't know how many kabobs I made, looked like a forset on the table, but when all was done, there were few left and the kitchen staff, me included, were able to try them. Excellent.

During my catering days I would use rosemary stems as skewers for cubes of fish or prawns, brush them with a small amount of oil and grill them. We would serve them on the "skewer". It added a really nice flavour to the fish.

Funny, I'm just the opposite, I think the flavor is over powering for delicate seafood.

Funny, I'm just the opposite, I think the flavor is over powering for delicate seafood.

That's the thing. The fact that the fish is just on the skewer of rosemary it just gets a tiny bit of flavour. As PF says, it doesn't sound appealing but is actually quite tasty. It was a favourite item on our menu.

I am with you Craig. I want to be able to taste the sea in my much loved seafood. To date, the only food I have found a use for Rosemary is lamb. Maybe I need to experiment more. I just can't get past the pine smell. :angel:

We like to grill pork chops brushed with a mixture of Dijon mustard thyme. Then, after we turn them over, we top them with a sprig of rosemary. It infuses the pork with a light rosemary flavor. Delicious. I imagine that's what the seafood skewers taste like.

We like to grill pork chops brushed with a mixture of Dijon mustard thyme. Then, after we turn them over, we top them with a sprig of rosemary. It infuses the pork with a light rosemary flavor. Delicious. I imagine that's what the seafood skewers taste like.

That is what I mean, a very bold flavor that works its magic with strong meat flavors, but can be very overwhelming with seafood. Game, beef, lamb and pork work well with rosemary!:)

I love the smell of this pork roast cooking. It uses a lot of milk, but the gravy is amazing and the rosemary on top--my stomach starts growling before the meat is done. I usually make this in the fall and winter a couple of times and it is one of my go-to mains for when I invite friends over.

Milk Pork : Recipes : Cooking Channel

I infused vodka with rosemary, lavender, and some red peppercorns a couple of years ago...it was wonderful after 3 weeks. The ratio was 2 parts rosemary to 3 parts lavender.
It made a great 'tini. I tasted it after a week and adjusted the amount of rosemary and lavender.

Here is what the biggest of them looks like...the pics are fuzzy, they were almost bone dry and I've lost one of them for sure. There are 4 left out of the whole packet...most never even sprouted.

Wow. Does not even look like Rosemary.
Those peat sprouting pots should be soaked in water regularly until the plants are at least a few inches tall.
If thats a watered plant pictured, you need lots more water. The pot itself absorbs most of it anyway.
Soak them until they are water logged. Then allow then to dry out a little before soaking again.
This is not the time to parch them. You will kill them.

I have read that people are starting to bonsai with rosemary.

And what a very good idea that is. Nice needle size and seems like very easy to train. I wonder if there is a variety with shorter needles?

For anyone that wants to grow Rosemary, cuttings are great for propagating.
I take some at the end of season and put cuttings in water. I keep the water changed and allow them to grow in the water until spring.
Then they go into pots or into the garden.

I am working solely with seeds and cuttings these days.

Thanks, that was the information I needed to grow these pesky things.. Surprised I haven't killed them..yet.

I haven't grown rosemary from seed, but in general, it doesn't do well with a lot of water. Rosemary originated on the arid hillsides of the southern Mediterranean area. I wouldn't soak them until they're water-logged. I'd just try to keep them moist.

I haven't grown rosemary from seed, but in general, it doesn't do well with a lot of water. Rosemary originated on the arid hillsides of the southern Mediterranean area. I wouldn't soak them until they're water-logged. I'd just try to keep them moist.

That must be why it does so well even on the freeway here unattended.
This little micro climate of Ca. is said to be most like the climate in the Mediterranean.

I would love to have my own rosemary in time for Thanksgiving, thinking on a roast leg of lamb for that event.

Those starter pots are designed to be soaked first even before you use them.
Their purpose is to hold water.
If you don't soak them, they will dry out to fast and the seedling will die.

I agree less water is best with mature rosemary plants. But at this stage and in peat seed starter pots, they must be soaked and allowed to drain and almost dry before soaking again.
Seeds and seedlings do not do well under stressful conditions. Under watering a peat seed pod is a mistake.

Read the directions on a seed starter pod. It says to embed the seed and to soak the whole pot until saturated.
Then continue to keep the pod moist until time to plant.
Not only is this how its supposed to be done, its common sense.

Those starter pots are designed to be soaked first even before you use them.
Their purpose is to hold water.
If you don't soak them, they will dry out to fast and the seedling will die.

I agree less water is best with mature rosemary plants. But at this stage and in peat seed starter pots, they must be soaked and allowed to drain and almost dry before soaking again.
Seeds and seedlings do not do well under stressful conditions. Under watering a peat seed pod is a mistake.

Read the directions on a seed starter pod. It says to embed the seed and to soak the whole pot until saturated.
Then continue to keep the pod moist until time to plant.
Not only is this how its supposed to be done, its common sense.

I wonder how they manage to reproduce by themselves, on a sunny, dry hill in France without someone soaking them all the time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom