Saffron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sagittarius

Senior Cook
Good afternoon,

Of course, besides Valencian Paellas or Risotto Milanese, what other dishes do you use Saffron for ?

Thank you in advance ..

Last edited:
Saffron, like fleur de sel and white truffles, is just too expensive for me.
Will use achiote oil, annatto seeds & olive oil, for color knowing full well the taste is completely different.

Will use achiote oil, annatto seeds & olive oil, for color knowing full well the taste is completely different.

Skilletlicker, do you care to share your experience in using annatto seeds & olive oil? I buy annatto seed solution when making some kinds of cheese. I bought some annatto seeds to experiment with and so far I'm not clear (even after much noodling around the internet) on how to best get the color from the outside coating of the annatto seed, into a solution. Some say boil it in water, in an acid solution, some say boil it in water in a base solution, some say to use some oil with the water. You got anything? :)

Skilletlicker, do you care to share your experience in using annatto seeds & olive oil? I buy annatto seed solution when making some kinds of cheese. I bought some annatto seeds to experiment with and so far I'm not clear (even after much noodling around the internet) on how to best get the color from the outside coating of the annatto seed, into a solution. Some say boil it in water, in an acid solution, some say boil it in water in a base solution, some say to use some oil with the water. You got anything? :)

I learned to use it maybe 20 years ago from a TV show called Daisy Cooks by Daisy Martinez. Put some achiote (annatto) seeds and olive oil into a skillet and heat it keeping a close eye to keep the oil below smoke point and not over cook the seeds. They turn black(ish) and taste bad. The oil turns a pretty deep orangish red and the oil can be saved in the fridge.

So after writing all that I googled it and found this YouTube of Daisy explaining how to do it.

Daisy darlin, skilletlicker misses you

Curries, chicken dishes and lamb dishes. I also have it in desserts, cakes, rolls and cookies.

I learned to use it maybe 20 years ago from a TV show called Daisy Cooks by Daisy Martinez. Put some achiote (annatto) seeds and olive oil into a skillet and heat it keeping a close eye to keep the oil below smoke point and not over cook the seeds. They turn black(ish) and taste bad. The oil turns a pretty deep orangish red and the oil can be saved in the fridge.

So after writing all that I googled it and found this YouTube of Daisy explaining how to do it.

So all along, I ought to have been searching out ACHIOTE, and since I'm language impaired, I was just searching ANNATTO, THANK YOU. That helps a great deal Skilletlicker. Good video! Thanks again.

We just estimate very conservatively with a pinch. Too much saffron and it starts to taste like medicine. Can always add more if not enough to begin with.

Mom used a pinch in chicken soup, and I do, too. Since my SIL does the same thing, I'm going to guess that my MIL also did that. Must be a Slavic thing.

I grew the autumn crocuses for a couple of years when we lived in our first house. Wasn't much work, so I wasn't too upset with the small harvest. Each year gave me just enough strands for two pots of soup. ?

This seems unusual. I would think flavor is more important than color.

Another view here. To be honest, I've never bought saffron.

I cook for one 90% of the time and have limited freezer space, so if I'm making chicken soup (for example) and want a nice color to the broth, I just add a tiny bit of turmeric - relying on the thyme, garlic, chicken, veggies, etc. for the flavor. I've also used turmeric in rice, on occasion.

Most of my meals are made with the intention to be used within a few days, with the exception of roasts, and sometimes soup - if I have the freezer room.

I've really been considering getting another small freezer to keep in the garage, but haven't gotten that far yet, until I make some space out there. :ermm::LOL:

Last edited:
I've never bought saffron, either. My MIL gave me a paella kit for Christmas once that included a tiny vial of it. Maybe I didn't use enough when I made the paella (since I had enough left to use for the rice I mentioned [emoji38]) but I didn't think it had much flavor. Turmeric or annatto provide nice color and onions, garlic and other seasonings provide plenty of flavor. So I'm not tempted to buy it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom