"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 08-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I love saffron. Paella wouldn't be the same without it.

I would also question the quality of the saffron. Good quality saffron adds kind of a warm, earthy flavor to foods. It's one of those things that's hard to describe, because there really isn't anything that tastes quite like it (and other than adding a yellow color to foods, turmeric is not similar at all).

But I've never had saffron that tastes like plastic.
Steve, is saffron as expensive over there as it is here? Very expensive here

Old 08-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

Kylie, I think saffron is expensive everywhere.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, it is crazy how much they charge for it...but it is a lovely taste
Old 08-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Saffron is very high labour. Back in the middle ages, when labour was very cheap, they used to put saffron in lots of food.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:33 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Taste is subjective. But there's more to it than that. To me, saffron tastes like tobacco smells. I can handle it, but much prefer turmeric, which is similar, but different enough for me to really like it.
I know people's ability to taste various things differs wildly ... BUT ...

Turmeric tastes NOTHING like saffron. Not to me, and not to anyone I know. I'm having a really hard time grasping that idea.

The ONLY thing turmeric has in common with saffron is that they can both give a yellowish cast to certain foods, such as rice. All I can think is that you must have come across some really really bad saffron in your time, LOL!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Over the years I have decided that Saffron is a waste of my time. I just can't taste it, other than a slightly dirt-like flavor. Saffron cakes are the worst, as I feel like I'm eating dirty scones!I grow cilantro for family use, but don't care for it myself. But then, all tastes are subjective. Doesn't mean I won't eat things with those herbs,but I don't cook with them myself.

My herb garden always has rosemary, curly parsley, sage, thyme, oregano, chives, dill and sweet basil. Last year I grew lemon thyme which I love, but couldn't find a plant this year. I don't plant any mints as they are so invasive and I don't use them much, except catnip (23 housecats!) Gotta plant my garlic before the snow flies! Gotta dig horse radish and grind it one of these days, too. One of my friends just sent me a jar of her garam masala mix. Need to dry and freeze herbs for winter use. I feel too lazy today.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Saffron is very high labour. Back in the middle ages, when labour was very cheap, they used to put saffron in lots of food.
This is true, but saffron is so expensive in the North America because it's North America. Saffron threads purchased in Spain are much cheaper.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This is true, but saffron is so expensive in the North America because it's North America. Saffron threads purchased in Spain are much cheaper.
Saffron is expensive because it takes roughly 150 flowers to produce 1 gramme (0.035 of a ounce) of saffron threads and the picking and the separating of the threads has to be done by hand.

Saffron may be cheaper in Spain than America but you have to be very careful in choosing it. I speak from the experience of my years of house-keeping in Spain. There is a lot of inferior saffron on sale in Spain and quite often the cheaper "paella powders" don't contain any natural saffron at all but only artificial saffron flavour. I have even seen bags of dyed sawdust masquerading as saffron on sale to unsuspecting tourists in markets in Spain and Egypt.

I wonder if the OP's poor experience with saffron was anything to do with poor storage either at the suppliers or at home. We have all been given those pretty racks to display on our kitchen units at some time or other but it really isn't the best way to store herbs and spices. Dried saffron threads very quickly deteriorate when exposed to daylight and oxygen, and should be kept in a dark, air-tight container.

Alternatively, some people can't taste certain types of flavour or experience them differently. Perhaps the OP falls into this category. I can sympathise. I keep being told about chillis having lovely fruity or fresh flavours but all I get is the burning sensation.

Tags
saffron