"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 06-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
Master Chef

Each of those herbs you listed also go very well with other herbs and spices. For instance, combine basil with oregano, savory, garlic, thyme and rosemary to make tomato based sauce for pasta, or cabbage rolls. Combine those same herbs with ground beef, add in egg, bread crumbs, a little salt and pepper, and you have meat loaf or meat balls.

Combine sage, red pepper, black pepper, and salt to ground pork to make your own breakfast sausage. Or, use those same flavors to enhance gravies for a pork roast.

Put together mayonnaise, a little salt, black pepper, oregano, basil, garlic, and mix with just enough milk to make it creamy and you have home made ranch dressing for salads.

Mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, tarragon, and a touch of lemon juice make a wonderful tartar sauce for fish and seafood.

And just so you know, flavorings made from seeds, such as fennel, pepper, nutmeg, etc., are called spices. Flavorings made from the leaves and flowers of plants are called herbs.

As you play around with herbs and spices, you will begin to find all kinds of uses for them. They enhance everything from egg rolls to ice cream. They are great on veggies, meat, poultry, in savory and sweet sauces, in main courses, and in deserts, beverages, virtually anything you can put in your mouth and swallow.

Use flavorings such as liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, maggi, hot sauce, etc. as you would herbs and spices, to enhance the natural floavors of foods.

Tip: It is sometimes easier to place fresh herbs into a little muslin or cheesecloth bag so that after they have given their flavors to a soup, or sauce, it is easy to remove them. Tea bags are a classic use of this technique.

Tip 2: Go easy on adding herbs and spices (seasonings) to foods. Put a little in and let it cook for ten minutes or so. Taste the food. Add a little more if needed. And always remember, you can always add more, but once it's in the soup (or sauce, or desert cream, or whatever), you can't take it out.

I have destroyed what could have been very good food by adding to much of something. The delicious, but potent herb - cilantro - comes to mind.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks, GW for the tip about the difference between herbs and spices. I was wondering about that just this morning.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Just don't carry large quantities of sage around with you in plastic bags! You just might get arrested for possession.

Craig
Old 06-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Craig, You are too much! And Goodweed, you are much appreciated (as are all of you). I didn't know the difference between herbs and spices, so thank you for clearing that up. I guess I'm going to have to get into a routine of making dinners and other meals so I can actually use the goods growing in my garden!
Keep all of your suggestions coming, I love reading them and jotting them down.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Lots of good info. My favorite way to use Tarragon is in tar tar sauce. Goes well with battered fish. I use Sage mostly in sausage making. Its nice with pork in those little breakfast links or patties.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #16
Master Chef

While I grow both, don't use much sage except for the usual Thanksgiving stuffing & stuffing a handful into whole trout before grilling/broiling/pan-frying. As for Tarragon, it's a definite favorite here, & I add it to virtually everything - a handful inside a chicken for roasting, chopped into a sauce for poultry or seafood, & added to garlic mayonnaise to accompany chilled lobster &/or shrimp or added to my "Red, White, & Blue Potato Salad".

Caveat for both? They're both strong-flavored herbs, so start small & taste as you you go.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Tarragon is great for béarnaise sauce.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I like to marinade mild ocean fish such as pollock in a little lemon or lime (or both) mixed with water, a little tarragon and some dill weed. It's really good baked or grilled.

I love sage in rice dishes, especial brown and wild rice. It's also good cooked into vegetables such as rutabagas and celery. I also like to heat apple cider with sage and black pepper and use it to brush onto pork chops as they're cooking.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #19
Head Chef

Surprised no one has mentioned tarragon and mushrooms. A classic combination.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Butternut squash ravioli in a brown butter sage sauce.

Craig

Tags
None