"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 03-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Seasoned salt?

What is it? I keep seeing it used on American and Canadian shows on "Food Network". Is it something you but off the shelf or is it a D-I-Y concoction? and if the latter what ingredients do you use?

Thanks

Old 03-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
Master Chef

There are dozens of off-the-shelf seasoned salt available here, the most popular being Lawry's Seasoned Salt.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
What is it? I keep seeing it used on American and Canadian shows on "Food Network". Is it something you but off the shelf or is it a D-I-Y concoction? and if the latter what ingredients do you use?

Thanks
I have several in the spice cabinet right now. Some are actually flavored salt and others are salt and seasoning blends. I use them in several ways, commonly on eggs or veggies. My ghost pepper and habeñero pepper salts I use to add heat to a quite a few things. When I use them I season with the flavored salts first, then add more plain salt only if needed.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
Master Chef

MC, here's a copycat recipe for Lawry's SS. It's been an American staple for generations. I must have in my morning eggs.

Lawrys Seasoned Salt Copycat) Recipe - Food.com

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Here's one fo the simplest ones I have ever seen:

Paula Deen's House Seasoning

Ingredients:

1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Old 03-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
There are dozens of off-the-shelf seasoned salt available here, the most popular being Lawry's Seasoned Salt.
Just be sure to read any ingredients list before you buy something, MC. I always bought Lawry's until our daughter pointed out to me that the second ingredient is sugar. Since Himself was diagnosed diabetic I've tried to eliminate it whenever I can. I feel it serves no purpose when seasoning my scrambled eggs. On the other hand, my potato salad or tuna salad just doesn't taste the same without a small shake-shake of the genuine Lawry's. Hence, I still keep a bottle on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
MC, here's a copycat recipe for Lawry's SS. It's been an American staple for generations. I must have in my morning eggs.

Because of the sugar thing, I switched to McCormick's "Season All". It was the same, except for no sugar. Then Morton bought the name, changed the formula to something else, and I'm less than happy with this version of Season All. I am VERY glad you posted the recipe link. Now I can make my own at home - with no sugar! Thanks, Kay!
Old 03-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #7
Master Chef

CG, there is .6 carbs in a full teaspoon of Lawry's SS. The serving size on the bottle is 1/4 tsp. and lists 0 carbs. I never use more than a shake shake.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:40 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Thank you for this, Kay! Copied and saved.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:57 PM   #9
Master Chef

I can see making your own Lawry's SS if they're not available where you live or want to tweak the mix of ingredients to your taste.
I usually buy their 8oz shaker for a couple of bucks which is probably a lot cheaper than mixing all the separate ingredients to make your own batch.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #10
Master Chef

You're right there RF. I mainly was thinking it's likely not available in the UK. I didn't realize it's been an American classic here since 1938...even longer than me!

Tags
salt