"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 02-16-2010, 11:13 PM   #11
Master Chef

I've used smoked paprika, and like it for some things, but wouldn't use it if I was grilling anyway. I use it in the winter when I don't grill to give that little something extra. I've used three brands and found them all satisfactory (all imported, although maybe re-packaged by a company that buys in bulk). To me .... use it for anything you want to have a smoky flavor when you cannot cook out over coals.

No, I wouldn't use it for thickening, because the smoky flavor would become overwhelming. But sweet paprika (not sweet-smoky, just regular sweet) can have a mildly thickening effect because you can use a lot of it.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I have quite a few dried red peppers from my garden still hanging in my pantry. I want to grind them into paprika, I have a coffee grinder ( KA ) a ktex mill for grain and an electric stone grinder for grain , do you think the grain grinders would clog ? I just think the KA grinder would take forever. Food processor ?? Gage

Old 02-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
I use it to give a BBQ flavor in indoor cooking. also since my wife does not like spicy food I sneak some smoked Paprika in to get a little heat.
danpeikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I get mine from www.thespicehouse.com but they have local locations so I do not need to pay shipping
Old 02-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I think it is an aquired taste. I tried it in my chili one time in place of regular paprika and I didn't like it. I should try it in my BBQ rubs, that mike make it more palettable to me.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpeikes View Post
I get mine from www.thespicehouse.com but they have local locations so I do not need to pay shipping
There are Penzey's store locations in Oak Park and Naperville. Not sure how far they are from Chicago. Also a half dozen locations in Wisconsin. One may be close to you.

Penzeys Spices Retail Stores
Old 02-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
There are Penzey's store locations in Oak Park and Naperville. Not sure how far they are from Chicago. Also a half dozen locations in Wisconsin. One may be close to you.

Penzeys Spices Retail Stores
Oak park and naperville are drivable but a decent drive. The Evanston store of the spice house is les than 15 min and I love their stuff. Thanks any way Andy
Old 02-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #18
Mr. Greenjeans

Been to spice house, it's comparable. Penzeys does do a mail order business!
Old 02-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
Been to spice house, it's comparable. Penzeys does do a mail order business!
Mail order works great, as long as you know what you want. Whenever I'm near a store, I always stop in to smell the spices.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gage View Post
I have quite a few dried red peppers from my garden still hanging in my pantry. I want to grind them into paprika, I have a coffee grinder ( KA ) a ktex mill for grain and an electric stone grinder for grain , do you think the grain grinders would clog ? I just think the KA grinder would take forever. Food processor ?? Gage
Hi Gage:

I feel silly telling you this ('cept I am a moderator on another forum), you might get more responses to your question if you post it in a new thread. I am kind of wondering what kind of grinder would work best for dried peppers too. Somehow, unless somebody with experience recommends you using your grain griders, I would not risk clogging them. My first impulse is to tell you to use your food processor, but I just can't see a precision grind resulting from that. I assume you want a fine powder and not flakes. This would definitely make an interesting thread of its own.

Tags
None