Social implications of garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've found that rubbing lemon juice on my fingers takes away the garlic odor, as well as shrimp odor after peeling shrimp.

Good tip, thanks!

I use a good body spray like Axe when DW says she can smell it on me, it helps sometimes but not all the time. Sometimes there is just no way around it, and when I think I am going to make something that may lead to garlic smell, well I don't plan it next to or at a social event LOL.
Citrus Burst Listerine also seems to help the breath, but I have heard of the parsley sprigs before as well.

i used to worry, too, sean. now i eat garlic often, & love that way better than avoiding garlic. i chew gum. as geebs said, parsley works, as well, from what they say.

MY DH loves garlic and so do I. We eat alot of it and I don't think we stink at all. At least no one has ever said so.
Were they upwind? :LOL: Just teasing. As someone said, I don't think it affects everyone the same way. I know we don't usually have a problem.

:)Barbara

I just don't eat it or cook with it because I don't like it well enough to live with the lingering smell. I also avoid restaurants that are heavy-handed with the garlic.

This thread is really interesting. I didn't realize that not everyone has lingering garlic breath or the smell on their skin but it makes sense that individual body chemistry would make it different for all of us.

Buck and I love garlic and we use, between the two of us, at least one whole head per week. Sometimes 2 or more per week. Never had any problem with garlic breath or garlic smell from our skin. Love roasted garlic spread on homemade baguette. Yum. So nutty and sweet.

I read somewhere that it acts as a 'performance' enhancer for men as long as it is consumed raw. I have no idea if that is urban legend or not, but I consume plenty of it raw and cooked and never had any complaints.
About the smell, that is...

I read somewhere that it acts as a 'performance' enhancer for men as long as it is consumed raw. I have no idea if that is urban legend or not, but I consume plenty of it raw and cooked and never had any complaints.
Reeeally! I never knew this but I'm definitely going to file this little tidbit of information away for further consideration!

Garlic is very good for the cardiovascular system---some of the mouthwashes that are designed to inhibit sulfur compounds (more $, too) seem to help with strong mouth odors. Also, Gillette makes a great deoderant/antiperspirant that goes by the name "Clinical Strength" which is also more expensive the regulars. But I don't know if you can find these products in the Netherlands or not. It's active ingredients are aluminum zirconioum trichlorohydrex and anhydrous Gly 20%.

It's hard to know sometimes whether your body is giving off an odor. I knew a woman from India many years ago who told me once that most Americans smell like sour milk to her, since she didn't eat dairy products. And when I was in college, there was a guy, also from India, whom I sat next to in a class who had a strong body odor I later realized was curry.

Very true GG. Most people who smell do not know it. People who reek of garlic could very easily think they do not smell at all. I think this is part of why when everyone eats it the smell cancels out. It isn't really that it does not smell, but more that everyone else smells just as bad so no one notices it.

Try eating a handful of raw garlic then go ask your partner if she'd like to test your "enhanced performance". I suspect you'll be on your own that day.:ohmy::ROFLMAO:

Interesting you should say that, GotGarlic - when I was in China last year I met a young woman who had spent a year studying in the US. She said that all Americans smelled like cheese to her, and that she found it really nauseating.

:) Too bad the good smelling foods don't do that like vanilla even though I dont eat them I would like to smell like a glazed doughnut.:LOL::LOL:

My wifes uncle uses vanilla like cologne. He puts a dab behind each ear. Says it drive the women crazy :LOL:

when I was in China last year I met a young woman who had spent a year studying in the US. She said that all Americans smelled like cheese to her, and that she found it really nauseating.

I had that same experience years ago when returning to the US after many years. Yah, cheese might have been it, but a really bad cheese and its not in a sweaty sort of way either. It has to be something about our diet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom