Social implications of garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DH and I both love the aroma of garlic, so there's no problem for us :) Nothing better than a freshly roasted head of garlic and some toasted crusty bread.

There really isn't one. It varies from person to person and situation to situation. A person might eat some garlic and not smell from it at all. One week later he might eat it and stink for 2 days. The next week he might eat some and stink for 6 hours.

Okay, I'll make sure to avoid contact with anyone for at least two days after using garlic (or conversely, wont use garlic unless I wont be in contact with anyone for at least two days... not much garlic for me, then)

I think you are worrying about it too much Sean. millions of people eat garlic every day. It generally is not an issue. Do not deprive yourself of this wonderful food on the off chance that you might smell like garlic for a little while.

Eating parsley has been said to help with the smell. Chewing on a coffee bean helps with the odor from your mouth too, but that is kind of unpleasant to do.

I loved the title of this thread and had to come in and check it out.

I wonder if I'm so steeped in garlic, I don't even notice it on others... I never really noticed people (including myself and my husband) stinking of garlic after eating it-- just a bit of garlic breath for a few hours.

I notice hardly any stink at all after eating cooked garlic-- but raw is another story. I avoid putting it in DH's lunch salad dressings because he comes home 6 hours later with stinky garlic breath. hehe. But don't tell him I said that!

Years ago we made a baked chicken with a kazillion garlic cloves, the recipe the Frugal Gourmet gave out. And he assured us, from TV, we would not stink even half a tad. So we bought his book and made the stuff on a Sunday. And followed the directions exactly.

It tasted good.

The baked garlic did not seem to be all that harsh, actually it seemed very gentle. Heck, what a great idea. We gotta try that again, we thought.

Monday was different.

Stinking like garlic may not be a crime, but it doesn't help you when you deal with the public. On Monday don't think anyone would have wanted to sit next to us at a baseball game. Whether the odor had dissipated by Wednesday we were not at all sure, but I doubt anyone would have shared a pup tent with us.

Have since roasted garlic. And agree there is a definite difference in garlic cloves.

Just our take on the process.

God bless.

Does it work like that or are you all just equally repulsed by each other? :)
I don't believe you are equally repulsed. I am repulsed when BF eats a bunch of garlic and I don't (though I love it, the breath effects can be heinous to the un-imbibed). When we both have it, though, we can laugh and be like, "Wow , that had a lot of garlic" and then start making out and not notice it on each other. So I think it cancels out, for sure. But I've had the smell stuck on my fingers for days, so I can only imagine how long it lingers on my breath!

It usually does not last on the breath very long (longer than a day or so), but the smell can come through your skin for much longer.

My sister and I ate at our neighbors' house once when we were teenagers. The spaghetti had so much garlic it was absolutely bitter (I normally love garlic). Our skin oozed garlic odor for days--no one could stand to be near us!

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom