"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #11
Master Chef

Don't have problems with curry. Thai that is! The Brits eat lots of bastardized Indian curries. Bring on the heat!

Old 11-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Simmering is when the liquid is between 170 and 190 degrees F. Boiling is when the water reaches 212 degrees F.

Boiling evaporates water more quickly and so concentrates the liquid. It also agitates the ingredients more, so delicate pieces can fall apart more easily and sauces may not homogenize as well.

The minimum safe temperature is 141F. I know that because it's one of the only questions I got wrong on a test in culinary school

Old 11-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Thanks GG - I knew 140 something was in there somewhere! It was Cooks Illustrated reviews of slow cookers talking about the safe temp needed when in the "warm" setting.

I'll remember that now... maybe.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:11 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Thanks GG - I knew 140 something was in there somewhere! It was Cooks Illustrated reviews of slow cookers talking about the safe temp needed when in the "warm" setting.

I'll remember that now... maybe.
Yeah, it was 140, but the FDA changed it in 2012 for some reason I don't remember now. I was pretty unhappy because that wasn't what the book said but apparently the instructor mentioned it in class. That's what he said anyway when I asked about it after the test.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:55 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I also wonder if, especially with lamb, it may be something to do with the meat juices simply cooking out and colouring the sauce.

However, I do get it with white meat as well. I have also noticed the colour stays if I make kashmiri rogan josh (i.e. it's entirely red with just kashmiri red chilli powder!)
Suthseaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:25 AM   #16
Head Chef

Well if you boil to hard, meat can also become tough and unappetizing and colour will change.

I do use kashmiri red chili powder for most my currys because of the colour.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
It has to maintain a minimum temperature to be safe. I think it is 140 f. Definition of "hot" is not good enough. Hot is a concept and can mean anything.
It's pretty rare to find a stove that will let it fall below 140 after already reaching a full boil. As long as the element is still heating, it should keep the pot in the safe range for a long time, even if it isn't really simmering.

Many ranges have just the opposite problem, they won't go low enough to maintain a good simmer. I've had a couple, including my current gas range, that simmer very well - tomato sauce doesn't burn even when simmered for several hours with minimal attention. Had a Samsung glass top electric that was one of the best I've ever owned for simmering.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
It's pretty rare to find a stove that will let it fall below 140 after already reaching a full boil. As long as the element is still heating, it should keep the pot in the safe range for a long time, even if it isn't really simmering.

Many ranges have just the opposite problem, they won't go low enough to maintain a good simmer. I've had a couple, including my current gas range, that simmer very well - tomato sauce doesn't burn even when simmered for several hours with minimal attention. Had a Samsung glass top electric that was one of the best I've ever owned for simmering.
Thanks RP - I will keep that in mind!
Old 11-15-2016, 10:26 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post

+1. My gas stove has a specific simmer burner that goes very low, but it still maintains a temp of at least 160, I'd guess. I should check it sometime, just to see

Tags
cook, cooking, other