"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 02-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I know mint is in it, msmofet, I tasted it in my first bite. I'm trying to hide it, cover it up, hence my use of the word "mask". Next time I go to use it, I plan on measuring out 1 tsp from the package, add about 1/4 tsp each of oregano and garlic, 1/8 of the lemon peel and garlic, and a few twists of fresh-ground black pepper. If that works, lucky me. If not, I'll keep adjusting until I hide the mint right proper. By the time I end up going through that 1/2 cup bag that I bought, I could end up having used over a cup's worth of seasonings! Good thing I have all of those spices on hand. Then again, maybe it ISN'T a good thing I have so many spices...
I'm sorry I misread. I thought you had another blend with mint and was going to add the Greek seasoning to that.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #12
Master Chef

Really don't like mint in savory food either. BUT mom did. She grew 3 varieties. The wild cats loved it also. The mint takes over so she grew it as a border around the house in the back far away from the veg garden. She brewed tea and added sugar and mint for iced tea and she added to hot tea. She also sliced zucchini thin and fried it in oil. Then drained it and put it in a container with fresh olive oil and mint. She put it in fridge to chill then made a sandwich with it on Italian bread. The mint oil was the condiment.

I like to save my mint eating for chocolate! Lindt mint candy, Andies, eight o'clocks and jr mints are my favs.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:05 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Spearmint has a strong flavor and it will be hard to mask. Just increase all the other ingredients and hope for the best.

Peppermint candies are a favorite here as well. Andes mints, York peppermint patties, etc.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:33 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Spearmint has a strong flavor and it will be hard to mask. Just increase all the other ingredients and hope for the best.

Peppermint candies are a favorite here as well. Andes mints, York peppermint patties, etc.
Oh yeah York peppermint patties!
Old 02-22-2016, 03:05 PM   #15
Master Chef

You guys have me craving a York patty right now! Good thing I have to make a bread run to Panera's later today - I can pick some up at the grocery store in the same strip center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't see how that could be a bad thing. Sorry, I just don't, and it's not because I have dozens and dozens of spices ... I swear ...
Or maybe scores and scores? My problem is that when I need to replace a jar, I get one of the 4-ounce refill bags from Penzeys or Spice House, then keep the bag in the basement where it never gets warmer than the upper 60s. Dark and cool, even the herbs stay fresh. Some people have wine cellars. I have a spice cellar.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:30 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
You guys have me craving a York patty right now! Good thing I have to make a bread run to Panera's later today - I can pick some up at the grocery store in the same strip center.

Or maybe scores and scores? My problem is that when I need to replace a jar, I get one of the 4-ounce refill bags from Penzeys or Spice House, then keep the bag in the basement where it never gets warmer than the upper 60s. Dark and cool, even the herbs stay fresh. Some people have wine cellars. I have a spice cellar.

Tags
recipe

Spice problem I enjoyed [URL="https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/greek-seasoning/c-24/p-411/pd-s"]Penzeys "Greek Seasoning"[/URL] when I first bought it, but over time it seemed too salty to me. I did shake the jar each time I used it from early on, making sure the mix in the jar looked well blended before opening and using. When I placed my last Spice House order, I got a small bag of their [URL="http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/sunny-greek-islands-salt-free-greek-seaoning"]"Sunny Greek Island" [/URL]blend, figuring with no salt added I could put exactly what my taste buds wanted from time to time. Must not have noticed that one ingredient was "spearmint". :ermm: Um, I don't like mint. :blink: IF I increased the oregano, cracked pepper, and granulated garlic, do you think I can mask some of the mint flavor? I also have lemon peel and marjoran. Basically, I have all I need to make a batch from scratch EXCEPT for a recipe. I really don't want to pitch the bag I have, because placing an order for Greek Seasoning with Penzeys will become like the story [URL="https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090118142050AARKluV"]"If You Give a Mouse a Cookie"[/URL]. Besides, that doesn't resolve the salty issue. Help! And thank you. 3 stars 1 reviews