Spice suggestion for sour cream based sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was one thing to recommend the ways of cooking, share recipes. I don't know whatever else it might be. By seasoning is really matter of personal taste. I don't know. I don't think I ever asked for seasoning suggestion.

It was one thing to recommend the ways of cooking, share recipes. I don't know whatever else it might be. By seasoning is really matter of personal taste. I don't know. I don't think I ever asked for seasoning suggestion.
I have asked about seasoning suggestions. Once it was what would go well with pear, since Stirling doesn't much like ginger.

Well I am a huge fan of Tarragon with a creamy sauce for chicken.

If you are interested Dirk, I can give you a recipe I have made numerous times.

Oh, and welcome to the DC. :)

Edit: I realise of course that you didn't ask for "herb suggestions", but I still heartily recommend Tarragon.

Last edited:
Depending on how you make the sauce, you could add some shredded sharp Swiss cheese. I make a chicken dish with sour cream, mushrooms, Swiss cheese, onions and garlic. We really like it and the next day it is even better. I've even thinned out the sauce a bit, chopped up the leftover chicken and made it into a soup.

I have asked about seasoning suggestions. Once it was what would go well with pear, since Stirling doesn't much like ginger.

See, I think it is different, what goes well together and simply seasoning. Never mind, I say use paprika.

BTW, does: Dirk wears white socks, Dirk wears white socks, you might not like us now but you will?
:LOL: Sorry, flashback moment.

I like using chili powders in sour cream, chipotle powder in sour cream with chicken and mushrooms would make a nice dish.

Welcome Dirk!
I would try paprika, garlic and black pepper. Or, you could go with some garlic and curry powder.

I think your question was a very good one, it can be difficult to know what herbs and spices complement certain foods until you have some experience. I have a friend who is a pretty good cook, but often uses herbs and spices in ways that just don't work in certain dishes. She could be a better cook if she knew instinctively the herbs/spices that enhance a dish or if she were to ask for help as you have done.

Thank you again for your suggestions. I've noted them all for future reference.

I appreciate the welcome messages. I do not feel it appropriate to formally introduce myself on the forums without knowing if I'll be a part of the community in the future, but I'll keep it in mind nonetheless. Additionally, I am against publishing personal information on public forums, and it's worth mentioning that my real name isn't Dirk, but hopefully that doesn't make me any less friendly :).

I apologize for the late reply, busy days.

most of the curry spices..paprika,cumin,chilli powder,ground coriander,ginger,saffron etc etc etc.a lot of indian dishes use yogurt which is similar to sour cream.stroganoff incorporates sour cream & paprika in the recipe too

I recently cooked a simple recipe with chicken in a sour cream and mushrooms sauce, seasoned with salt and pepper. I feel that it could use some spices the next time I would cook it, but am unsure what spices I could use. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

You need herbs. Chives is a standard herb used with sour cream. I'd also suggest using dill or tarragon rather than chives, and you could add some minced garlic along with, or without, any of those herbs. I wouldn't use spices. They would most likely overpower the recipe.

Today I cooked the dish again with added garlic and thyme and it made an incredible difference. It was much more flavored, and the flavors worked together really well.

Thank you everyone, I'll be looking for guidance from you in the future as well.

Back
Top Bottom