"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 10-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I'm with LadyCook. But I don't buy humongus quantities of any of them to begin with.
I grind my own black pepper, put in a hermeticly sealable jar and in the freezer. Then, when needed, I put some in my shaker, maybe 2 weeks worth at a time.
The rest stay in a dark cabinet, and seem to last as long as I need them.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #12
Master Chef

Believe me, I definitely have tossed almost-full jars of spices! Most noticeably, when we were traveling full time in the RV and I was desperate for a spice and bought it at the camp store wherever we were staying. Once it was completely flavorless, odorless cinnamon (how long was THAT on the shelf?) another time it was cumin. Both times I was long-gone so returning the product wasn't an option.

In the military there was a joke that there really was only one bottle of XXXX (fill in the blank, most often cited was Tabasco sauce) in the entire service, because when we moved, often we were not allowed to move food items, or simply had to pare down for weight allowances. So we'd hand off boxes of liquers, spices, perishables, etc., to friends, acquaintances, strangers, whoever wanted it. It wasn't unusual for us to have no idea what this spice was, how to use it, and certainly how old it was! I once inherited a jar of tahini and had no idea what it was or how to use it! When I figured it all out (in hummus! Great!) I discovered that the tahini was concrete. Who knows how old it was!

Old 10-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #13
Master Chef

i keep my spices. too expensive to just pitch.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Wasn't there a spice swap thread? Buy some spice, break it down into smaller quantities and share amongst ourselves . Of course, shareing the cost.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #15
Senior Cook

My mantra is - Buy in Bulk! Most large towns up to large cities will have a grocery or health food store that sells spices and herbs in bulk. And I don't mean by bulk that you have to buy large quantities. On the contrary you can buy just what you need (you pour it into a little baggie and label it) - even if it's just a couple of tablespoons worth. And it's so cheap! You can for instance, buy a spice jarful amount of say, oregano, and it will be something like 59 cents! And it's fresh. Try it. You'll love it and will never feel bad about throwing out old spices and herbs again. Just keep your regular jars and refill as needed. If you d try it and like it - spread the word. Schilling has made enough money off of all of us.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:35 AM   #16
Head Chef

I purchased 3 sets of small canisters a few years ago and use those for spices (very pretty aluminum canisters with glass lids ... they fit into an aluminum box with 18 to a box). They hold about 5 Tbl. each. The rest of the jar or baggie gets vacuum sealed and put in the freezer until I need to refill the canister(s). It saves room in our small kitchen and I think keeps the flavor better.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:31 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I have tons of spices, some old and some new; if kept away from light and heat they stand up pretty well.

Tags
None