"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 12-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
One of my favorite sauces for dressing pasta is brown butter and sage. It's very simple and works wonderfully as a side dish. Simply make up the sauce, toss your pasta in it, and you are done.

Butter and Sage Sauce Recipe : Mario Batali : Recipes : Food Network
THIS! Delish with gnocchi for a hearty little dish!

Old 12-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
One of the things I have seen tv cooking shows do is save a little water the pasta was cooked in, or don't quite drain it all. I am not sure if it helps keep the pasta from sticking, although I seem to think it helps distribute the sauce without diluting it too much. I think you only need add a tablespoon or so, and only when you think it needs it.

--
I like to toss pasta with pesto, and more parm.
I don't think it's intended to keep the pasta from sticking but to help loosen the sauce a bit with the water, if necessary, while the starch keeps it from diluting too much, as you say. And yes, add a little, stir it in, and then see if it needs more.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
One of my favorite sauces for dressing pasta is brown butter and sage. It's very simple and works wonderfully as a side dish. Simply make up the sauce, toss your pasta in it, and you are done.

Butter and Sage Sauce Recipe : Mario Batali : Recipes : Food Network
Try adding a bit of powdered milk to your butter for browning. The powdered milk is the same stuff in butter that browns (milk solids) so by adding a bit to the butter while it's melting and letting it brown like normal you get a lot more brown butter flavor in your sauce.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:55 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post

Try adding a bit of powdered milk to your butter for browning. The powdered milk is the same stuff in butter that browns (milk solids) so by adding a bit to the butter while it's melting and letting it brown like normal you get a lot more brown butter flavor in your sauce.
What a great idea.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:33 AM   #15
Head Chef

Think about what goes well with the main dish and create your sauce with those elements.

You mentioned liver. How about a sauce with onions and pieces of cooked bacon? Maybe with a béchamel sauce (like a sauce soubise with bacon), or you could try a bacon or salty ham with mushrooms and a dressing with a light, sweet fruity taste like pear, apple, or plum (maybe try an apple or pear liquor or a cider).

Let the pasta sauce flavors complement those of the main dish.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Thank you all for the information. It's already enough for me to keep making pasta side dishes for quite a while, but other ideas are still more than welcome.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:26 AM   #17
Sous Chef

OP here's a good tip I can't believe wasn't mentioned yet including myself: Throw a bit of salt in the boiling water to season a little less salty than seawater. It's the best way to season the pasta makes all the difference.

And then there's the classic pasta dishes like alfredo, carbonara, primavera, fideos, et al.

OP maybe try some orzo, feta, fresh chopped tomato, lemon juice, fresh oregano, olive oil, salt, pepper flakes, parsley. Good hot or add chopped red onion and serve it cold as a salad double yum.

And check out this couscous:
Just drop some butter and olive oil in a pan over medium, add a cinnamon stick, bay leaf, and slivered almonds until toasted a bit then a bit of garlic cook a minute add turmeric cook 15 or 20 seconds more then add the couscous and cook for a few minutes more stirring often then add salt and water put the lid on let it sit and it's done in 5 minutes. When it's done mix in some golden raisins or any other dried fruit you like.

There's also the ever popular pasta salad OP you can find tons of recipes for it out there. Me I like them with no mayonnaise ;)
Old 12-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Duly noted.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fos87 View Post
I don't know if you have it, but salty ricotta is better than parmesan in this sauce. Don't forget the fresh red pepper, sautéed with the garlic and the anchovies.
Is that the same as ricotta salata? If so, we have it.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #20
Master Chef

I didn't mention salt because I thought that is as clear as a blue sky....

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other, pasta, spices