Spices for pasta side dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are so very many ways to dress pasta. Here are a few of my favorites, with the pasta shapes that I like to use with them.

Carbonara - spaghetti, simply cook the pasta for ten minutes. Drain, and while still piping hot, break a raw egg, and add fried bacon to the spaghetti. Stir to let the hot noodles cook the egg. Add freshly grated Parmesano Regiano cheese. Serve with pork and a freshly stemmed green veggie.

Alfredo - Linguini: Put the linguini into a pot of boiling water and cook for ten minutes. While it's cooking, add two tbs. of butter and flour into a heavy frying pan. Cook the flour until it turns blonde in color. Slowly stir in milk to make a creamy sauce. Remove from heat. Lightly salt to taste. Stri in 1/2 cup of grated Parmegiano Regiano cheese until smooth. Stir this into the pasta. Many people make the Alfredo sauce by simply adding the cheese to hot cream, instead of making the Bechmel Sauce from the flour, butter, and milk.

Mornay Sauce - Farfelli (Boq Tie) - Make a roux of 2 tbs. flour, with 2 tbs. butter. Cook until blonde. Add milk with a dash of nutmeg to make a smooth Bechemel Sauce. Stir in 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese, and 1 tbs. yellow mustard. Serve alongside meat and steamed spimache.

Chief's Southwestern Pasta - Orzo - Combine 1 1/2 cups crushed tomato with 1/4 tsb, each of cumin, coriander, red pepper and chili powder. Add 1 tsp. Tobasco Pepper Sauce, onion powder, and garlic powder. Stir to mix. Bring the sauce to a boil and then remove from heat. Set aside. Add 1 cup orzo to 2 cups boiling water and cook for ten minutes. Drain. Add the sauce and stir to combine.

Chief's herbed, tomato-garlic sauce - Penne - Stir together 1 cup crushed tomato, 6 oz. tomato paste, 1/2 tsp. granulated Garlic, 1/2 cup diced, fresh onion, 1/4 tsp. each, marjorum, oregano, rosemary, and thyme, 1/2 tsp. basil. Bring to a boil and set aside. Place the pasta into boiling water and cook until al-dente', or about ten minutes. Drain and stir into the sauce. Add 1/2 cup cottage cheese. Serve with braised beef and a fresh, green salad.

Italian Vinaigrette - Small shells - Cook pasta in boiling water until done, about ten minutes. Combine 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil with 3/4 cup rice vinegar in a blender. Add 3/8ths tsp. each, basil, oregano, and rosemary to the mixture, along with 1/4 tsp. powdered mustard (emulsifies the vinegar and oil). Add enough vinaigrette to the to coat. Mix thoroughly and refrigerate. Serve with burgers, hot dogs, or with herb-roasted beef and oven baked potato wedges.

Cheese Sauce - elbow macaroni - boil 1 cup elbow macaroni in 3 cups water until almost tender. Drain and set aside. In a saucepan, heat 2 cups milk, but not to a boil, just until it starts to steam. While the milk is heating, grate 1/2 lb. each, extra sharp cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, and Romano cheese. Cut off a 3 inch chunk of Velveeta, or American cheese, and cube it. Add all of the cheeses, a little at a time, and whisk into the hot milk. Add 1 tbs. prepared yellow mustard. Stir in the Velveeta cheese cubes. Add the pasta to the cheese mixture and place in an oven-proof casserole dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 minutes. Serve hot alongside steamed asparagus and fried lamb chops with rosemary.

That should give you a few ideas of the kinds of things you can do with pasta, not to mention all of the cold pasta salad variations like frog-eye salad, to a classic macaroni salad.

The only limit is your imagination. You can even make desert with pastas.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Thank you for the more than helpful post. Coincidentally, the few times I have cooked pasta, it actually was as a dessert.

Do you guys use canned anchovies or the ones packed in salt?

I love anchovies while the rest of my close family and not so close family considers it sickening. I know, I know, but living here in the south is sometimes like living in a school cafeteria.
Bunch of children that will not anything unless it chicken tenders dipped in honey mustard.

I've actually never tried anchovies, but I can't really imagine a side dish with pasta and any sort of fish. That said, I'd probably give it a try if I had the chance out of mere curiosity.

I've actually never tried anchovies, but I can't really imagine a side dish with pasta and any sort of fish. That said, I'd probably give it a try if I had the chance out of mere curiosity.
They won't make it taste "fishy". They just add a little "je ne sais quoi".

If you have never tried them before, you should consider buying them in a tube. Then you can squeeze out just a small amount. If you buy them in a can (not a jar, but those are bigge), the leftover ones go off really quickly.

Do you mean that anchovies also come in some form of paste? Does it retain the same taste as the actual fish?
Yup. The tubes I buy have a paste of anchovy, olive oil, and salt. Tastes exactly like the ones in a can or jar. Very handy, especially since most of the recipes I have that use anchovies require you to mash them into a paste. I squeeze out a 2 - 3 inch strip and call that one anchovy. I also buy them in jars.

I like anchovy paste too. Much less gross than those whole little fishies!

Pasta as a dessert...?? :ermm:

Check these recipes out:
Chocolate Pasta with Raspberry Purée and White Chocolate « « Garrett's TableGarrett's Table

Noodle Pudding Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Chocolate Lovers Fettuccine a la Mode Recipe - Allrecipes.com

There are puddings and sweet salads that resemble tapioca made with this little pearl-shaped pasta that I can't remember the name of. It comes out like rice pudding.

That's just a start. Do a google-search for pasta desert recipes. There are a ton of them.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Do you guys use canned anchovies or the ones packed in salt?

I love anchovies while the rest of my close family and not so close family considers it sickening. I know, I know, but living here in the south is sometimes like living in a school cafeteria.
Bunch of children that will not anything unless it chicken tenders dipped in honey mustard.

I keep a couple of the small cans around. The fish dissolve in oil as well as the paste and the cans are easier for me to find.

In Germany they are called "Sago", but I never ever considered them to be Pasta.... :ermm:
If that is what you mean... we do it in "Rote Gruetze" (red berry compote?) :cool:

or maybe "Graupen" which dict.cc calls pearl barley... that's what the salad looks like..

Last edited:
In Germany they are called "Sago", but I never ever considered them to be Pasta.... :ermm:
If that is what you mean... we do it in "Rote Gruetze" (red berry compote?) :cool:

or maybe "Graupen" which dict.cc calls pearl barley... that's what the salad looks like..
It's a real pasta: Acini di pepe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When the Chief linked to frogs eyes salad, I thought of pearl tapioca. Actually I thought of tapioca when he first said a pasta that makes a dish like rice pudding, but "nah, that's not pasta".

Do you have a good recipe for rote gruetze? Danes make rødgrød, which is probably the same thing. I haven't been able to get my to set properly with potato starch. I may try with corn starch. Those danged red berries are so much more expensive than in Denmark.

One of the things I have seen tv cooking shows do is save a little water the pasta was cooked in, .

I saw a trick for not forgetting to save some of the cooking water. Place a measuring cup or coffee cup inside the colander you will be draining the pasta in. It's automatically there for when you drain, fill the cup, remove it to one side and finish draining.

My understanding is that it is used to dilute a sauce that is too thick or too dry. But, as already said, only should you need to. A simple butter/garlic and cheese sauce sometimes is too dry and adding more butter or something would spoil it. You are not changing the flavour with the pasta water, only helping the sauce to spread around.

I found out by now... know that kind, but it is widely used for soup..

It's a real pasta:

Do you have a good recipe for rote gruetze? Danes make rødgrød, which is probably the same thing. I haven't been able to get my to set properly with potato starch. I may try with corn starch. Those danged red berries are so much more expensive than in Denmark.

I will have a look... always invite myself to my Mum for the rote Gruetze, but I'll ask ;o)
don't you have "forest berries"? What I like most is with raspberries.. ;o)

I will have a look... always invite myself to my Mum for the rote Gruetze, but I'll ask ;o)
don't you have "forest berries"? What I like most is with raspberries.. ;o)
That would be great, if you got your mum's recipe.

Part of the problem is that we get most of our berries from the US and berries are pretty high up the list of fruit and veg with high pesticide residue, so I prefer to buy the organic ones.

A little, tiny box (~125 grams) of fresh, organic raspberries costs $3 or $4 in season. I prefer frozen, because fresh raspberries lose flavour so quickly. I notice a loss of flavour within hours of picking them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom