Spices for pasta side dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirk101

Assistant Cook
I almost never eat pasta, so I have little experience with it as an ingredient, but it has been recommended to me as a side dish next to various meats or livers in various sauces, cooking it with butter, salt and pepper.

I have tried this and I found it to be an interesting combination, only that the pasta seemed somewhat bland to me. I would like to see if I can add more flavor with spices or herbs but am unsure what to try, and also wether the spices/herbs used would depend on what the pasta is served with.

Any shared culinary thoughts are appreciated.

A simple pasta dish would be olive oil, garlic and anchovies. Maybe some parmesan. While the pasta is cooking, you make the sauce.

There are many ways to dress pasta, from a simple garlic/olive oil/Parmesan sauce to a long-cooked meat sauce. And different types and shapes of pasta often work better with certain sauces. In general, thin, delicate pasta works best with light, delicate sauces and thicker, heavier pasta works best with heartier sauces.

When I was really getting into cooking, I learned a lot from Rachael Ray. Here's a sort of guide to some common pasta shapes from her magazine with suggestions for accompanying sauces and some variations: http://www.rachaelraymag.com/food-how-to/cooking-tips/15-pasta-sauce-recipes/1/

Note that you don't have to use that specific pasta with a given sauce. You could use penne or rotini for any of the small pastas in that list.

Last edited:
Red pepper flakes. That's something I like in a simple olive oil and pasta dish.

A simple pasta dish would be olive oil, garlic and anchovies. Maybe some parmesan. While the pasta is cooking, you make the sauce.
I don't know if you have it, but salty ricotta is better than parmesan in this sauce. Don't forget the fresh red pepper, sautéed with the garlic and the anchovies.

I love fresh oregano or basil sauteed into the butter or olive oil that the pasta will be tossed with. You can also add dried versions of these. You can mince onion and garlic and cook it in the oil or butter too, let them brown just a little and the flavor is very rich. Dried tomatoes can add a pop of flavor. Cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered and added raw when the food is plated are also good. Parmesian, romano, asiago, and many other cheeses are good with pasta. You can also dress noodles/pasta with asian flavors if your meat has an asian theme. Ginger, corriander, a little soy sauce, a touch of honey, and butter are good. Or sessame seeds toasted in a dry pan, chives and a squeeze of lemon or lime. Actaully a squeeze of lemon or lime will work with a lot of different herbs too. Lemon and basil and butter on linguine is really good.

Most simple pasta sides will go with most meats, it all depends on how you season and prepare the meat and vegetables. You can always take one or two spices and carry them over to another part of the meal. For instance, you can use a spice/herb mix of garlic, onion, basil, oregano, black pepper. Season the meat with garlic, black pepper, oregano. Season the pasta with butter, onion, garlic, basil. Season the veggie with one of the flavors if desired or leave unseasoned for contrast. By having flavors that overlap but are still different you can make sure everything works together but doesn't all taste the same. You can also keep the meat seasoning really simple and do something more dramatic with the pasta. Like just s&p on the meat but a pasta with browned butter, garlic, and onion, pettite diced artichoke hearts, and chopped basil.

Main thing is to experiment and find what you like.

Last edited:
I thought I was asking a simple question with a simple answer, but I've learned more than I had hoped for. Thank you all kindly for your help.

It's a real joy for me to post on this forum. It still surprises me how helpful and active everyone is. With every thread I start I end up feeling the need to individually thank everyone who replies, but then half my posts would be of giving thanks :LOL:.

One of the things I have seen tv cooking shows do is save a little water the pasta was cooked in, or don't quite drain it all. I am not sure if it helps keep the pasta from sticking, although I seem to think it helps distribute the sauce without diluting it too much. I think you only need add a tablespoon or so, and only when you think it needs it.

--
I like to toss pasta with pesto, and more parm.

Last edited:
One of the things I have seen tv cooking shows do is save a little water the pasta was cooked in, or don't quite drain it all. I am not sure if it helps keep the pasta from sticking, although I seem to think it helps distribute the sauce without diluting it too much. I think you only need add a tablespoon or so, and only when you think it needs it.

--
I like to toss pasta with pesto, and more parm.

I don't think it's intended to keep the pasta from sticking but to help loosen the sauce a bit with the water, if necessary, while the starch keeps it from diluting too much, as you say. And yes, add a little, stir it in, and then see if it needs more.

One of my favorite sauces for dressing pasta is brown butter and sage. It's very simple and works wonderfully as a side dish. Simply make up the sauce, toss your pasta in it, and you are done.

Butter and Sage Sauce Recipe : Mario Batali : Recipes : Food Network

Try adding a bit of powdered milk to your butter for browning. The powdered milk is the same stuff in butter that browns (milk solids) so by adding a bit to the butter while it's melting and letting it brown like normal you get a lot more brown butter flavor in your sauce.:chef:

Last edited:
Think about what goes well with the main dish and create your sauce with those elements.

You mentioned liver. How about a sauce with onions and pieces of cooked bacon? Maybe with a béchamel sauce (like a sauce soubise with bacon), or you could try a bacon or salty ham with mushrooms and a dressing with a light, sweet fruity taste like pear, apple, or plum (maybe try an apple or pear liquor or a cider).

Let the pasta sauce flavors complement those of the main dish.

Thank you all for the information. It's already enough for me to keep making pasta side dishes for quite a while, but other ideas are still more than welcome.

OP here's a good tip I can't believe wasn't mentioned yet including myself: Throw a bit of salt in the boiling water to season a little less salty than seawater. It's the best way to season the pasta makes all the difference.

And then there's the classic pasta dishes like alfredo, carbonara, primavera, fideos, et al.

OP maybe try some orzo, feta, fresh chopped tomato, lemon juice, fresh oregano, olive oil, salt, pepper flakes, parsley. Good hot or add chopped red onion and serve it cold as a salad double yum.

And check out this couscous:
Just drop some butter and olive oil in a pan over medium, add a cinnamon stick, bay leaf, and slivered almonds until toasted a bit then a bit of garlic cook a minute add turmeric cook 15 or 20 seconds more then add the couscous and cook for a few minutes more stirring often then add salt and water put the lid on let it sit and it's done in 5 minutes. When it's done mix in some golden raisins or any other dried fruit you like.

There's also the ever popular pasta salad OP you can find tons of recipes for it out there. Me I like them with no mayonnaise ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom