Spices w/added salt, is more salt necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julio

Senior Cook
Hello,

Today I made chicken cutlets and I used a spice that had spices & herbs with salt in it. I gave my mother a spice a chicken then she said it needed more salt. I told her since the spice already had herbs & spices with salt in it that it did not need anymore salt. The spice in the back of the label says to use 1 teaspoon for every one pound of meat. I think I used about 1/8 or a little more per side. Should I have added a bit more per side?

Generally just coat it with the seasoning until it looks good, rub it in, and let 'er rip. I don't like premade spice blends, unless *I* blended it myself. Especially if said blends include salt, since the amount of salt will be hard to judge. If you're going to use this spice again, just increase the amount until you find the flavor you're looking for. But like I said, generally speaking, you can just dust the entire piece of meat with seasoning, rub in what rubs in, and brush off the excess if there is any.

If the blend provided enough spice flavor but not enough salt, make an adjustment. Your own taste is the final judge.

julio, your food should be seasoned to taste--your taste, your mother's taste--you can be guided by the instructions on the seasoning packet, but don't feel bound by them.

Thanks Everyone.

I'll remember to add more to taste the next time I use it. The spice that I was talking about in the original post is northwoods seasoning.

I generally go by taste. If I'm using a spice mix that contains salt, I don't salt until I taste. And, to be honest with you, I'm a salt-a-holic, so when I think it needs more salt, call husband in to decide. You can always add more, but you cannot extract.

Salt is a very much personal preference thing in my book. I neve go by the recipe when it comes to it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom