Spices, which one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I personally love to use rosemary in beef stew, and marjoram does wonders for pork--especially if you cook it with spicy brown mustard too! I never use parsley, sage, rosemary AND thyme, but it makes a catchy tune doesn't it?

what am I supposed to do with this large bag of "herbs de provence" that someone just gave me?
First thing I would do is vacuum seal it so it will stay fresh. Then get some spice jars, fill, and label as gifts to friends and family for the holidays. I would love to be Herbs de Provence as a gift.

First thing I would do is vacuum seal it so it will stay fresh. Then get some spice jars, fill, and label as gifts to friends and family for the holidays. I would love to be Herbs de Provence as a gift.
Thanks a lot but I just quoted and replied to Robo at the beginning of this thread... ;)
I use such herbs commonly as I am Italian and we are used to put these herbs in pots for cooking beef, chicken,pork.. I also add olive oil and onions,I let everything stir for a while and add white wine,then I let everything cook in a pot for at least 40 minutes.:pig:

I personally love to use rosemary in beef stew, and marjoram does wonders for pork--especially if you cook it with spicy brown mustard too! I never use parsley, sage, rosemary AND thyme, but it makes a catchy tune doesn't it?
Unfortunately I have never tried spicy brown mustard.. however it sounds tasty!!!:ROFLMAO:

Summer Savory with asparagus in a butter sauce or cream sauce.
Tarragon, is best thrown out, I can't find a thing I like with it.

Uh, no "Blissful", you don't "throw out" tarragon simply because you "can't find a thing" you like with it. Good grief!! What a statement. If you personally don't like Tarragon, fine. To make it sound like dirt, well, I think you need to expand your culinary horizons a bit more.

Tarragon is WONDERFUL!!! I stuff handfulls of it into chickens before roasting, top fish with it before broiling, stir it into sauces for lobster. . . .

Just because you don't like it "Blissful", doesn't make it something for the trash.

Well, Breezy, blissful was talking about her own tastes and her own trash. "IMO" is implied.

I totally agree with her about tarragon. And, along with tarragon, MY trash contains lavender, fennel, anise, and, most of all, cilantro.

IMO.

Lee

Whenever I make a marinara sause I use a small handfull of dry basil and about dry half of oregano for a medium size pot full. I like fresh cilantro in my latino meals, salsas. I make a beach bean salad that I use ground clove in it to give it a very nice freshness.

Whenever I make a marinara sause I use a small handfull of dry basil and about dry half of oregano for a medium size pot full. I like fresh cilantro in my latino meals, salsas. I make a beach bean salad that I use ground clove in it to give it a very nice freshness.
Hi ! it is a nice narinara sauce recipe,you are very good at cooking, will you please explain me what cilandro stands for?:huh:

Hi ! it is a nice narinara sauce recipe,you are very good at cooking, will you please explain me what cilandro stands for?:huh:

Taken from a dictionary web site.An herb with wide delicate lacy green leaves and a pungent flavor. The seed of the cilantro plant is known as coriander. Although cilantro and coriander come from the same plant, their flavors are very different and cannot be substituted for each other. (Some countries refer to the cilantro as coriander, so any references to "fresh coriander" or "coriander leaves" refer to cilantro.) Note: "Culantro" is an herb realted to cilantro that is widely used in dishes throughout the Caribbean, Latin America, and the Far East. Ingredient Season: available year-round How to select: Easily confused with flat-leaf parsley in appearance, so be sure to sniff carefully. Look for a bunch with unwilted leaves in medium green. Found fresh year round in most markets. How to store: Store in refrigerator with cut ends in a jar of water and leaves loosely covered with a plastic bag for several days. Change water every 2 days. Or store in a plastic bag for a week. How to prepare: Wash and pat dry before using, as the leaves attract sand. Matches well with: avocado, chicken, fish, ice cream, lamb, lentils, mayonnaise, peppers, pork, rice, salads, salsas, shellfish, tomatoes, yogurt

cilantro.jpg

I agree with having learned that coriander is the seed, cilantro the leaves and stems. That said, I've seen it marketed under both names, and in some places as "Chinese" or "Asian" parsley in addition to being called "fresh coriander." Even though, to me, a fresh salsa is just somehow wrong without it, I've never seen it marketed as "Mexican" parsley/coriander/cilantro !!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom