"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 11-20-2008, 09:49 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7887 View Post
Whenever I make a marinara sause I use a small handfull of dry basil and about dry half of oregano for a medium size pot full. I like fresh cilantro in my latino meals, salsas. I make a beach bean salad that I use ground clove in it to give it a very nice freshness.
Hi ! it is a nice narinara sauce recipe,you are very good at cooking, will you please explain me what cilandro stands for?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
Hi ! it is a nice narinara sauce recipe,you are very good at cooking, will you please explain me what cilandro stands for?
Taken from a dictionary web site.An herb with wide delicate lacy green leaves and a pungent flavor. The seed of the cilantro plant is known as coriander. Although cilantro and coriander come from the same plant, their flavors are very different and cannot be substituted for each other. (Some countries refer to the cilantro as coriander, so any references to "fresh coriander" or "coriander leaves" refer to cilantro.) Note: "Culantro" is an herb realted to cilantro that is widely used in dishes throughout the Caribbean, Latin America, and the Far East. Ingredient Season: available year-round How to select: Easily confused with flat-leaf parsley in appearance, so be sure to sniff carefully. Look for a bunch with unwilted leaves in medium green. Found fresh year round in most markets. How to store: Store in refrigerator with cut ends in a jar of water and leaves loosely covered with a plastic bag for several days. Change water every 2 days. Or store in a plastic bag for a week. How to prepare: Wash and pat dry before using, as the leaves attract sand. Matches well with: avocado, chicken, fish, ice cream, lamb, lentils, mayonnaise, peppers, pork, rice, salads, salsas, shellfish, tomatoes, yogurt

Old 11-20-2008, 09:56 AM   #33
Sous Chef

Old 11-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #34
Senior Cook

thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #35
Master Chef

I agree with having learned that coriander is the seed, cilantro the leaves and stems. That said, I've seen it marketed under both names, and in some places as "Chinese" or "Asian" parsley in addition to being called "fresh coriander." Even though, to me, a fresh salsa is just somehow wrong without it, I've never seen it marketed as "Mexican" parsley/coriander/cilantro !!!

Tags
None