Spices, which one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Is there any "rule of thumb" as to what spice goes with what?

I keep a lot of spices on hand, but never know which one to use...

It seems like, Taragon goes on fish, Dill makes Dill Pickles, and I think Sage makes Turkey Dressing...

what about Margerum, Rosemary, Thyme?

what am I supposed to do with this large bag of "herbs de provence" that someone just gave me?

why would one use "parsley, sage, rosemary AND thyme"?

I'm thinking, maybe for the next month, I may try using just a large "dose" of a single spice in each of my dishes until I figure out what each one tastes like alone!

Thanks, Dear Friends..

Eric, Austin Tx.

My rule of thumb is to use what I like and the heck with all the rules. That is one, The second one we had thread just about that, maybe you can dig around and find it, sorry do not remember any details about it.

Over time, some combinations of meats and spices or herbes have become winners because everyone likes the combination. Rosemary and lamb, is a classic combo, but if you love lamb and hate rosemary, it's a loser. Thyme and beef - same thing.

Identify herbs and spices you like and try them with different meats. The classic combinations are not the only acceptable ones.

Herbes de Provence is a combination of herbs that add a great flavor to soups and stews, braises, etc.

I found it best to cook recipes that used the spice rather than guessing. That way you can smell/taste it in it's raw form and in the finished dish. Do easy recipes like roasted chicken or some easy stews.

Dill goes good on salmon. ;)

Some of my favorite spice's are thyme, caraway, fennel, star anise.
thyme with most beef stews, caraway with a lot of tomato dishes and also in sauerkraut, Fennel with Italian sausage, pizza, star anise with some Asian dishes

When trying an unfamiliar spice or herb, I look to see how others are using it. I have a chart that I got from a magazine years ago that has good tips for which spices and herbs go with which foods. Then when I know how it tastes, I start experimenting.

:)Barbara

There may be some "rules," but what it really comes down to is personal preference. I, myself, learned through experimentation.

rosemary is delicious on zuchini or squash, sprigs of mint are delish in Viet Namese spring rolls as well as fresh basil, dill is great in dilly casserole bread (no kneading by the way) as well as on potatos------Kazakhs eat sprigs of fresh dill as an appetizer along with fresh tomatos and cucumbers, of course parsley goes with just about everything (soups, meat, veggies, stews,-------it's also a great breath freshener as it's full of cholorphyll and goes works in the stomach and not just the mouth,......I love to chomp on star anise as another great breath freshener and is good in Vietnamese beef soup (pho bo)...ginger is wonderful in Asian cusine as well as combatting upset stomachs and morning sickness (check with your ob if it's alright for you), fresh fennel is great for fish and and gas and is easy to grow---swallowtail butterflies will lay their eggs on them too.......goodness the list could go on and on......

I gota great book that I think youll find help full.

culinary artistry.

It has what goes with what and what not. and what doesnt work.
its loaded with ideas too.

"Culinary Artistry" is a great book, but the new book by the same authors "The Flavor Bible" goes so much farther and is much more current than artistry which was written in 1996. "The Flavor Bible" was just released this month.

It seems like, Taragon goes on fish, [also nice on chicken, in chicken salad, soup, etc.]

Dill makes Dill Pickles, [ good on fish, cucumbers dill sour cream, in a havarti cheese sauce, roasted beets dill and fresh orange juice:awesome!]

and I think Sage makes Turkey Dressing... [rub on pork chops before frying]

what about Margerum, [milder than oregano, add to pot roast, so good! great with tomatoes]

Rosemary,[ lamb chops or roast, also chicken]

Thyme? [versatile, beef , with tomatoes, stews, braises, soups, many vegetables, ]

what am I supposed to do with this large bag of "herbs de provence" [great with roasted veg like asparagus, or root veg, can be great in a salad dressing]

why would one use "parsley, sage, rosemary AND thyme"?[not all at once I hope. but, parsley rosemary taragon and garlic mix well with white wine for a chicken marinade!!!]

And for a Greek tomato/meat sauce try a bit of cinnamon and garlic. yum.

Last edited:
There are absolutely no hard & fast rules. You're going to have to taste & experiment for yourself. Just because someone says "this goes with or doesn't go with this" doesn't mean you're going to agree. And you shouldn't feel you have to.

I have now tried my "one spice method" several times..

I made cold creamy cucumber soup with Dill.

I now realize there is no way to describe flavors on the type writer...

Dill is quite strong, and works well with creamy cucumbers. It tastes like Dill pickles, but different...

I made Green Pork Chili, with just Cumin...

Cumin is I think is the spice that makes Mexican dishes taste, well "mexican"... it also had a lot of Garlic, and Hatch Green Chilies from New Mexico... very Hot and very good...

I also made Tamales with Chili Gravy, a very thin beef gravy to go on top, for this I used "Mexican Oregano", this is a Very strong spice that I did not care for at all...

I used to think this was "Epizote", but some one on this list said it is actually something else...

I am using large "pinches" to make sure I get the specific flavor... this is quite fun!

Eric, Austin Tx.

dill - salmon, cucumbers, sour cream, yogurt
cilantro - anything Chinese or Mexican
rosemary - lamb
thyme - poultry, fish. Particularly chicken soup
mint - Asian salads, fruit salads, teas
parsley - just about anything
sage - poultry, especially Thanksgiving turkey!

parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme? to me it would be poultry, and then I'd go light on the rosemary. Sage and thyme are natural partners with white meat (poultry or fish). I agree with those who say to try them one at a time until you develop your own preferences. So often the guy cooks in my life just start throwing it all in, then it all tastes the same all the time. A little here, a little there until you know what you like!

I like to use herbs de provence in meatloaf, gives a totally different flavor. I also use it on fish, bread crumbs for chicken and of course, vegetables.

Rosemary, Thyme?

what am I supposed to do with this large bag of "herbs de provence" that someone just gave me?

why would one use "parsley, sage, rosemary AND thyme"?

Hi,I use these spices with chicken,beef,pork,turkey,I also add olive oil and onions,I let everything stir for a while and add white wine,then I let everything cook in a pot for at least 40 minutes.

dill - salmon, cucumbers, sour cream, yogurt
cilantro - anything Chinese or Mexican
rosemary - lamb
thyme - poultry, fish. Particularly chicken soup
mint - Asian salads, fruit salads, teas
parsley - just about anything
sage - poultry, especially Thanksgiving turkey!

parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme? to me it would be poultry, and then I'd go light on the rosemary. Sage and thyme are natural partners with white meat (poultry or fish). I agree with those who say to try them one at a time until you develop your own preferences. So often the guy cooks in my life just start throwing it all in, then it all tastes the same all the time. A little here, a little there until you know what you like!
I totally agree with you!! ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom