"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 09-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Spices, which one?

Is there any "rule of thumb" as to what spice goes with what?

I keep a lot of spices on hand, but never know which one to use...

It seems like, Taragon goes on fish, Dill makes Dill Pickles, and I think Sage makes Turkey Dressing...

what about Margerum, Rosemary, Thyme?

what am I supposed to do with this large bag of "herbs de provence" that someone just gave me?

why would one use "parsley, sage, rosemary AND thyme"?

I'm thinking, maybe for the next month, I may try using just a large "dose" of a single spice in each of my dishes until I figure out what each one tastes like alone!

Thanks, Dear Friends..

Eric, Austin Tx.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
Master Chef

My rule of thumb is to use what I like and the heck with all the rules. That is one, The second one we had thread just about that, maybe you can dig around and find it, sorry do not remember any details about it.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Over time, some combinations of meats and spices or herbes have become winners because everyone likes the combination. Rosemary and lamb, is a classic combo, but if you love lamb and hate rosemary, it's a loser. Thyme and beef - same thing.

Identify herbs and spices you like and try them with different meats. The classic combinations are not the only acceptable ones.

Herbes de Provence is a combination of herbs that add a great flavor to soups and stews, braises, etc.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I found it best to cook recipes that used the spice rather than guessing. That way you can smell/taste it in it's raw form and in the finished dish. Do easy recipes like roasted chicken or some easy stews.

Dill goes good on salmon.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
Head Chef

Some of my favorite spice's are thyme, caraway, fennel, star anise.
thyme with most beef stews, caraway with a lot of tomato dishes and also in sauerkraut, Fennel with Italian sausage, pizza, star anise with some Asian dishes
Old 09-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

When trying an unfamiliar spice or herb, I look to see how others are using it. I have a chart that I got from a magazine years ago that has good tips for which spices and herbs go with which foods. Then when I know how it tastes, I start experimenting.

Barbara
Old 09-09-2008, 01:52 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

There may be some "rules," but what it really comes down to is personal preference. I, myself, learned through experimentation.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:32 AM   #8
Master Chef

rosemary is delicious on zuchini or squash, sprigs of mint are delish in Viet Namese spring rolls as well as fresh basil, dill is great in dilly casserole bread (no kneading by the way) as well as on potatos------Kazakhs eat sprigs of fresh dill as an appetizer along with fresh tomatos and cucumbers, of course parsley goes with just about everything (soups, meat, veggies, stews,-------it's also a great breath freshener as it's full of cholorphyll and goes works in the stomach and not just the mouth,......I love to chomp on star anise as another great breath freshener and is good in Vietnamese beef soup (pho bo)...ginger is wonderful in Asian cusine as well as combatting upset stomachs and morning sickness (check with your ob if it's alright for you), fresh fennel is great for fish and and gas and is easy to grow---swallowtail butterflies will lay their eggs on them too.......goodness the list could go on and on......
Old 09-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Here you can get suggestions for all kinds of foods/dishes plus a ton of other info.
kitchen charts
Old 09-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #10
Sous Chef

I gota great book that I think youll find help full.

culinary artistry.

It has what goes with what and what not. and what doesnt work.
its loaded with ideas too.

Tags
None