Spicy with depth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For me, when the food is just spicy hot without the flavor depth, I add some unsweetened cocoa powder. I'm not sure what it does but I find it helps. It may not be for you but that's what I use.

I'm not sure of your cooking method, but toasting all the spices dry together and deglazing with a mixture of Red Hot sauce and a bottle of Guinness is my preference.[ Watch your face and eyes] I like dried chile seeds.cumin, smoked paprika,and black pepper, for spices.This may help along with your other ingredients.

Last edited:
I would suggest using Mexican flavors for Tex-Mex food, like cumin, Ancho chile powder and lime zest or juice, instead of Italian. Also, you mentioned that you removed the seeds from all but one of the jalapeños. I find that removing half of the seeds and pith from all the jalapeños gives the amount of heat we like. You can also add hot sauce to taste at the table.

Dry roast the spices (cumin, etc.) I do this in a CI skillet. When the seeds start to hop, they are done. Grind them in a coffee mill. Roasting the spices releases the flavor.

I like hot. :yum:

But I want the flavor also.

Too much heat can take away from enjoying the flavors.

But that nice little sweat is a wonderful thing. :rolleyes:

Roasted peppers add flavor as do different varieties.

The moisture in fresh peppers seems to lessen the heat but the flavor of fresh can't be beat.

I try to use a combination of both.

I also find that time changes things.

Sometimes you need to let the ingredients blend together to achieve the taste you want.

Experimentation really is the joy of cooking. ;)

I love spicy, but hate hot. Heat ruins dishes for me. Don't think I even own cayenne or red pepper flakes anymore. I like mild chilis and banana peppers, but rarely use them. Cracked black pepper is hot enough for me.

It's not hard to manage the heat in a dish. To get some depth, make sure you've used adequate salt. It makes a huge difference. Also, don't hesitate to have some fat in the dish. Finally, if you're not averse, a measure of MSG will enhance the flavors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom