Spicy with depth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
I'm trying to get a layer of depth in my spicy foods. I'm typically making tex-mex food when I do spicy. I tend to use chili powder, homemade chicken stock, jalapenos (always seeded, except for one), cayenne, and general Italian seasonings.

I'm looking to go spicier, but not stupid hot. I want flavor. When I made salsa last week I just got a 1-dimensional spicy. I'm looking for something a little more complex than what I've got. Any ideas for giving your spicy foods that intense flavor and heat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe try some different chilies. Habañeros are known for great flavor in addition to heat.

In addition to to adding something like habaneros, which have a fruity type of profile along with a good deal of heat, cumin, oregano, and lime juice will add some depth of flavor to your dishes.

Last edited:
Try adding some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Lots of flavor and depth along with heat. Start with a small amount, and add to taste.

Inchrisin, I really can only relate your excellent question to Indian Food.I was taught that the strength of spicing must relate to the strength of flavor in the main ingredient.:)

There are some dried chilis that can pack some punch and flavor. Japones, arbol, morita, cascabel and chipolte. Chipolte also are available canned in adobo. There are milder dried chilis that I like to make pure powders from and then blend with othe spices to make "chili powder".

I have various luck with fresh japs. Some have good heat, some are as mild as a green bell. So, I prefer serranos.

A longer or slower method of cooking at a lower temperature will generally result in an increase in the depth of the flavor. I would recommend trying to achieve a balance of flavors per Bolas' advice. As Rocklobster points out, too much heat will hide the flavors. Good luck!

I like Rick Bayless's Roasted Tomato and Roasted Tomatillo Salsa recipes, where the vegetables are roasted under the broiler for 6-10 minutes, turning once, before making the salsa. Roasting concentrates the flavor and caramelizes the veggies, adding great flavor. If you want more heat, the easiest thing to do is keep more of the jalapeno's ribs and seeds.

Why do you use Italian seasonings in Tex/Mex food? I can see Mexican oregano, but basil or rosemary would not give a Tex/Mex flavor, imo.

Maybe you should try the spices that homemade ketchup has? like chilli pepper, cinnamon, cloves, all spice, nutmeg, some vinegar?

I could be totally off base but my theory is that you need to balance basic flavors to get depth. The tongue only tastes five basic ones, so take advantage of that by incorporating sweet, salty, sour, and umami (I skip on the bitter flavors...) into your dishes and you'll get the depth of flavor you want to go along with the heat. You could also go as far as to take a more Asian approach and include spicy as a sixth basic flavor component that needs to balance with the others.

Last edited:
I could be totally off base but my theory is that you need to balance basic flavors to get depth. The tongue only tastes five basic ones, so take advantage of that by incorporating sweet, salty, sour, and umami (I skip on the bitter flavors...) into your dishes and you'll get the depth of flavor you want to go along with the heat. You could also go as far as to take a more Asian approach and include spicy as a sixth basic flavor component that needs to balance with the others.

This is an interesting approach. And I never heard about this sixth basic flavor component.
Now I need to find out a chart which orders all spices and herbs according to the five basic tastes :ohmy:
I think I'll ask for it on the FB page of a big Italian producer, let's see what happens.

Thanks no mayonnaise :)

My newest favorite spice for tex mex is smoked paprika. It has a slight kick & the smokey flavor adds the complexity you are looking for. It is bright red so it also adds color.
If you are making something green instead of red try green chilli powder made from New Mexico green chilis.
I have also started adding pickled hot chili peppers is small doses. Vinegar adds complexity & it is easier for me to find & keep pickled peppers.

I make a blend from dried peppers typically found in Mexico/central America. I keep dried Chipotle, Ancho, Pasilla, Guajillo, Chili, Habanero in my pantry and will add various amounts, depending on what I am making, to my grinder and blend them up every so often. They keep forever....

When I make salsa, I use different peppers, with different heat and flavor profiles. I like to use Anahiem, Hungarian Wax, Jalapeno, Sweet Red Bell, Green Bell, Habenero, and smoked Ghost Peppers (I like my salsa HOT). You could substitute Chipotle for the smoked ghost peppers. I then add diced onion, celery,and cilantro, and diced tomato. I cook it long enough to bring it to a boil, but only for 4 to 5 minutes. I then can it, using proper canning procedures. The longer it sits, the hotter it seems to get. I don't remove any seeds or membranes from the peppers.

The salsa has a great depth of flavor. You can tailor it by changing up the peppers, maybe adding some whole-kernal corn, chunks of mango, or berries.

Seeeeeya; Chi8ef Longwind of the North

If you want to stray off Tex Mex, GOCHUJANG, the Korean hot pepper paste totally fills the bill about tons of flavor with manageable heat.

In addition if you want to add umami, a squirt of good quality soy sauce does wonders.

And I'm not averse to a tiny pinch of Goya Sazon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom