"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 02-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Do you have any statistics that back your China claim up? Gilroy is not the only producer of garlic in this country but I promise you China is not where my garlic is coming from. I even bothered to google your claim and there is no foundation for such a statement.
There is a very good chance that if your garlic does not specifiy that it comes from CA or somewhere else, that it indeed comes from China.

China produces 75% of the world's garlic and a large majority of the garlic sold in the US.

Garlic grown in California is generally ridiculously expensive, when you can find it at all.]

Here's a Washington Post article detailing it all: Cause for Concern In Chinese Bulbs? - washingtonpost.com

Old 02-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
There is a very good chance that if your garlic does not specifiy that it comes from CA or somewhere else, that it indeed comes from China.

China produces 75% of the world's garlic and a large majority of the garlic sold in the US.

Garlic grown in California is generally ridiculously expensive, when you can find it at all.]

Here's a Washington Post article detailing it all: Cause for Concern In Chinese Bulbs? - washingtonpost.com
Mine says California on it. The sleeve I bought at the Faire was Gilroy Garlic guaranteed.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #33
Master Chef

If it says that then you're good. It's very hard to find here. And wicked expensive.

I'd venture to say that most unsleeved garlic comes from China. As does most of the sleeved bulbs, which are labeled with the country of origin (or should be).
Old 02-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
If it says that then you're good. It's very hard to find here. And wicked expensive.

I'd venture to say that most unsleeved garlic comes from China. As does most of the sleeved bulbs, which are labeled with the country of origin (or should be).
I bought mine from here: Garlic Festival Foods when they came out for Ren. They do it every year and every year I buy a sleeve.

Interestingly, by the picture in the article, the stuff I saw at Walmart looks like what the article deemed "locally grown" so I googled it. Garlic Home ~ seems I'm in a state where we can get locally grown garlic, which is great because I prefer to support local growers than a country I'll never go to.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I bought mine from here: Garlic Festival Foods when they came out for Ren. They do it every year and every year I buy a sleeve.

Interestingly, by the picture in the article, the stuff I saw at Walmart looks like what the article deemed "locally grown" so I googled it. Garlic Home ~ seems I'm in a state where we can get locally grown garlic, which is great because I prefer to support local growers than a country I'll never go to.
I wholeheartedly agree! But there's nothing growing up here during the winter and there's really no place to buy garlic but farmer's markets in the summer.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorie View Post
Doesn't it mold in the refrigerator?

Mold? Mold in refrigerator? You must be kidding? Never. It may dry out or stat sprauting in a couple of month or more, but never mold. Even if it is pilled it doesn't. And then usualy I use a lots of garlic when I cook. But never the less i do have garlic I bought couple of month ago, becaus eof this thread I went and checked on it. It started to spraut. But for sure no mold.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree! But there's nothing growing up here during the winter and there's really no place to buy garlic but farmer's markets in the summer.
I asked the guy at Walmart today and he said that their garlic is not from China and that most of the time it is locally grown but when it isn't it's from the US. They actually label it as "grown in the USA" right next to the price.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:52 AM   #38
Cook

Send a message via MSN to Asmodean Send a message via Skype™ to Asmodean
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
We keep garlic in unpeeled head form in a well ventilated terra cotta container at room temperature.
That's exactly what we do too
Old 06-21-2009, 11:56 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

I just was given fresh, out of the garden garlic, with stalks intact. How long would you all let them dry out before they are ready to use in cooking?
Old 06-22-2009, 12:59 AM   #40
Cook

Here in NZ, locally grown garlic is 4x the cost of Chinese garlic so supermarkets sell the Chinese.
The Chinese looks white and the local is white/ purpley cloves.
If growing garlic at home, the NZ garlic does better in its natural environment
And we just past the shortest day, so its garlic planting time.

Tags
None