Storing tellicherry peppercorns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
My tellicherry peppercorns arrived today, and I'm wondering what's the best way to store them. Is it okay to keep them in the plastic bag or do they need to be stored in an airtight container?

My tellicherry peppercorns arrived today, and I'm wondering what's the best way to store them. Is it okay to keep them in the plastic bag or do they need to be stored in an airtight container?

The plastic bag is fine. I store mine in a plastic bottle for convenience only.

The bag works. Anything you don't use please feel free to send to me, and I'll store them for you.

I pour mine into a glass jar with a rubber seal, but that's just because it looks pretty.

I put my peppercorns into the fridge the minute I get them home.
I have a drawer dedicated to spices.
Since we end up with fairly large spice bottles (Costco) I just refrigerate them. I even refrigerate the un-opened bottles.

I too bought the ones from Costco. I keep mine in the plastic jar they came in. No reason, just what they came in. Are these something that needs to be thrown away, like some spices, at XXXX age?

I too bought the ones from Costco. I keep mine in the plastic jar they came in. No reason, just what they came in. Are these something that needs to be thrown away, like some spices, at XXXX age?

I don't think so. I think spices should only be pitched when they've lost their flavor. They don't actually "go bad". Penzy's catalog has very good explanations of both the differences between different types of peppercorns, as well as how often to switch out your spices. I have a lot of spices with some age on them, they still taste and smell good, so I keep 'em! Whole spices seem to last much longer than pre-ground.

Last edited:
I drop by TJ Max occassionaly to see what they have discounted. There is always a done of different peppers and salts in there. I was thinking that if there is really no "expiration date" for Pepper you could pick up some varieties at reasonable prices.

I drop by TJ Max occassionaly to see what they have discounted. There is always a done of different peppers and salts in there. I was thinking that if there is really no "expiration date" for Pepper you could pick up some varieties at reasonable prices.

Thanks for reminding me about TJ Maxx! I also saw them at Bed Bath today. They came in a grinder under their private label World Market brand.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom