Sub for garlic salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
4 Tbsp. = 1/4 cup. Burn that into your brain, as it's one of the more useful conversions for the home cook.

The recipe for the peanut marinade calls for 4 Tbsp. soy sauce, 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar, and 6 Tbsp. peanut butter. So pull out the measuring cup, add 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/8 cup vinegar (now a total of 3/8 cup), and then add enough peanut butter to bring the liquid level up another 6 Tbsp. (3/8 cup), now for a total of 3/4 cup. Have you ever tried measuring 6 Tbsp. of peanut butter using measuring spoons?
Oh yeah, that 4 Tblsps = 1/4 cup is already burned into my brain along with a few others, like 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon. But, I really prefer measuring on a scale in grams. No complicated arithmetic with fractions. Just zero the scale for the next ingredient.

When I am making a dish that calls for a lot of different seasonings, they are the very first thing I measure out. I go over the whole recipe and get every thing I am going to need from the cabinet and fridge. As I measure out each one, it goes back to the cabinet, fridge, etc. I have some custard cups and they are perfect for that purpose. Then I measure out any other dry ingredients in another custard cup. With a pencil I lightly mark off every time I measure out an ingredient. Easier to erase after. I hate playing the game, "did I put the salt in, the sugar in, etc." It is a system that works for me.

Unlike ATK I don't use a separate cup for each ingredient. I am not that old or senile yet. But I am headed that way. How the heck did I get this old so quickly?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom