Szechuan Peppercorn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jet

Sous Chef
I added some Szechuan Peppercorns to my last Penzeys Spices order on a whim. I must say that they have a unique flavor and are unlike anything Szechuan that I have ever had. Does anyone have experience with these? Any ideas what I can use them in?

Do any Asian cooking? Most Chinese cookbooks have at least a few recipes that call for them.

I do some Asian cooking, and eat at a lot of Asian restaurants but I have never had anything that tastes like this. I would describe it as a chemical taste with a burning sensation that builds. The only person I have inflicted them upon said that the taste reminds him of how bad soap smells.

I do some Asian cooking, and eat at a lot of Asian restaurants but I have never had anything that tastes like this. I would describe it as a chemical taste with a burning sensation that builds. The only person I have inflicted them upon said that the taste reminds him of how bad soap smells.

hmm I think I will forego this pepper. ;)

Sichuan pepper is not a pepper but a bud or a berry. It is used in making five spice powder. You can also add it to chinese dishes by coarsely grinding them. They have a spicy citrusy flavor to it. While not critical to all Chinese dishes it adds a certain authenticity to some of the regional cooking there (just like white pepper which is not the same as black pepper).

I love that taste. They sell it as a sauce in certain asian stores and that way you can use a little at a time and it will last.

Try it in a stir fried beef dish. I think it would go with a lot of things.

Back
Top Bottom