Szechwan Peppers & Tellicherry Peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New Question

Hey guys! I finally scored on the Szechuan Pepper!! Woo Hoo! Wheee! At last!!!

I was about to bite the bullet and order them on line... Cost of $9.00 for peppers and $14.00 for shipping!

Went into town today to the Asian Market I frequent (bit of an exaggeration, it is really only once or twice a year:rolleyes:) (sorry Taxy, would have called but it was a last minute thing with a friend). Finally found my PEPPERS!!

I know there are more varieties than the two I picked up, which were "black" and "green" PrickleyAsh seeds, AKA Szechuan Peppers!

Last time I went there asking for them I was always led to the regular pepper/peppercorns. This time I found them by myself, but with the labels all in Chinese, I took them to the cashier to be sure. I had also found a blog where it was said to ask for Hua Jiao if you couldn't find them... I listened to the verbal speech for the translation and the cashier's was just slightly different - I'd written down 6 phonetic renditions - she has now added a 7th! :LOL:

I held up both packages and she said black ones are numbing and green ones are... arghhh... I'm pretty sure she said more peppery/spicier (but I also have this "sweeter thing"?? in the back of my mind)

Thanks again to all for your input... now just have to find all the recipes I have using them :wacko::angel:. Also to Sue Lan for advice about prepping for usage! Nice to know as these are whole seeds, not crushed or powdered.

So now a new question... why were the green ones 2 dollars more than the black? Green: 80 g $3.99. Black: 80 g $1.99. Would have thought it would be the other way around. (and just for a refresher??? the online ones were $9.00!)
But whatever!!! I am a very happy camper! :D:clap::clap:

Back
Top Bottom