Tajin! - Need more ideas for use!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tenspeed, I found it at Kroger, so it's available in other grocery stores, too.

Thanks for the links :)
Some things that are readily available in supermarkets elsewhere are not available here. We're getting more diverse, though. Only 93% white, down from 98% in 2000 and 96% in 2010. Neighboring Vermont and Maine are pretty much the same. Some of the locals regard Massachusetts as a foreign country.

Pineapple! Yes, when I first got it, I broiled buttered pineapple slices and sprinkled them with Tajin. Yum :yum:

We took a snorkel party boat a few years ago, and when we stopped at a shallow beach area, they served us all sorts of tropical fruits with Tajin on floating platters in the ocean! Pineapple, mango, starfruit, it was all so good!

I'm going to try it with roasted cauliflower.

Thank you, PPO and Munky. I'll look in the produce and meat departments as well as the ethnic aisle. It's gotta be there - I can't imagine a SoCal supermarket NOT stocking it. Guess I could always ask an Albertsons employee, too. LOL :rolleyes::LOL:

I'm REALLY looking forward to trying it - sounds like something I would love.

Wow, lots of great suggestions! I think I'm going to gain some weight just trying this stuff on so many things. :ermm: In spite of that, thank you so very much! Just keep them coming.

GG, avocados sound good, since they go well with lime. As soon as I find good pineapples in the store I will try it on that. I've been jonesing for pineapple for months but all I see are so green they'll rot. Poor things just don't ripen after picking.

Kayelle, those shrimp look absolutely delicious. I have shrimp in the freezer, so I'll have to try this soon. And you must have missed my first post mentioning watermelon. Thanks to your previous comments in other threads, it's the first thing I thought of for the Tajin. Florida corn is on sale at the grocery store this week. I'll pinch a couple of kernels to see if the juice runs clear or milky. Clear, and a couple are coming home with me.

PPP, I've had a few bloody Mary's, and not against having another. I'll try this next time we're in the mixed drink mood.

Eggs. Carambola. Cauliflower. I'm starting to think that the only thing it might not work on is chocolate. Or would it...:brows: Off to experiment!

...Some of the locals regard Massachusetts as a foreign country.
Himself and I feel the same way, and we live in MA! :LOL: Sixteen years, and we still wonder about many things. We're also waiting for the day we need to show our non-existent passports just to cross the state line from CT. We live in a border town and the best way to get from one side of town through the other is via CT. Still shaking our head over that one.

Well, it should be a lot easier to find now. The January issue of Food Network mag. is calling it "Flavor of the Year". They say it debuted in the United States in 1993. They also mention using it on popcorn (you can bet I will be trying that real soon). They also say that Tyson has launched a line of Tajin-infused chicken and sausage products. I will have to remember to tell DH that, he is one of Tajin's biggest fan.

Thanks for the tip Kay - I never thought to look for it in the Mexican section. :rolleyes::)

At Wegman's in Niagara Falls I couldn't find the kosher salt, until I thought to look in the kosher foods section. WHOMP! There it was! At Smart & Final in San Diego I couldn't find the Agave nectar in the section where they have all the different sugars and other sweeteners, so I finally asked a clerk. He said they put it in the syrups section. The older I get, the harder it is to tolerate STUPID!

Chile Lime Seasoning & Dry Rub

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbs chili powder
  • 1 tsp lime zest
  • ½ tsp ground cumin
  • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper powder
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
  • ¼ tsp onion powder
  • ¼ tsp ground coriander
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ⅛ tsp sugar
Instructions:

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, then use as a seasoning or a rub.

Last edited:
Chile Lime Seasoning & Dry Rub

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbs chili powder
  • 1 tsp lime zest
  • ½ tsp ground cumin
  • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper powder
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
  • ¼ tsp onion powder
  • ¼ tsp ground coriander
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ⅛ tsp sugar
Instructions:

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, then use as a seasoning or a rub.

Thanks S.L.O.B.(lol) Can't wait to try this. Thank goodness we always keep lemon, lime and orange zest in the freezer.

SLoB, that rub sounds good but it's way more complex than Tajin. It has just three ingredients: chili peppers, sea salt, and dehydrated lime.

I'm sure someone sells dehydrated lime juice, but it's probably cheaper to spring $2.50 for the Tajin.

Thanks S.L.O.B.(lol) Can't wait to try this. Thank goodness we always keep lemon, lime and orange zest in the freezer.

Did you know you can buy shelf stable lemon and lime (not sure about orange) zest in the spice section of most supermarkets?

Thanks Sir Loin, since we always have all three fresh in the house, it just makes more sense to zest our own. At least I can make sure the fruit has been washed before zesting. lol, but thanks again. I haven't been inside a store in some years now, I have no idea what they are selling anymore. lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom