"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 06-08-2009, 02:28 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

I like it in chicken salad and have a wonderful seafood lasagna recipe that calls for it too.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I make tarragon vinegar, and then use it in Bearnaise.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine View Post
I make tarragon vinegar, and then use it in Bearnaise.
Yum! How much and what kind of vinegar...How much Tarragon...etc.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #14
Master Chef

Tarragon has always been one of my favorite herbs. In fact, I have a big pot of it growing on my deck.

Favorite uses? Apart from the ever-popular Bearnaise Sauce, I add it, along with fresh-chopped garlic, to mayonnaise to serve with chilled seafood - cooked chilled lobster in particular. It's also a necessary for a good Green Goddess dressing (which can also double as a chilled seafood dip). When I make crabmeat stuffing for fish or shrimp, fresh tarragon frequently makes an appearance. I also enjoy it minced into cream sauces for poultry (a la Uncle Bob's recent recipe on another thread. . .).

UB - when I do make my own tarragon vinegar, I just buy a bottle of white wine vinegar (doesn't have to be pricey) & shove a few long very clean sprigs of tarragon right into the bottle. You do have to make sure the herbs are completely covered by the vinegar, & frankly, even though it may not be necessary, I keep it refrigerated after adding the herbs just to be on the safe side.

On a couple of occasions I've made my own using 1/2 white wine, 1/2 white vinegar, + the fresh tarragon. Again - kept refrigerated.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I've never refrigerated the vinegar, but I did keep it in the cold room. Given the humidity of where I live now, I may have to refrigerate it. I sterilize a large jar, fill it with white wine vinegar, then add a handful of clean tarragon sprigs. I let it steep in a cool dark place (the cold room was great for that) for a few weeks. Then I strain the vinegar into sterilized bottles, discard the old herbs, add a few sprigs of fresh herbs, and cork the bottles.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Does anyone think Dried Tarragon would work? Albeit maybe not with the same results...

Old 06-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Does anyone think Dried Tarragon would work? Albeit maybe not with the same results...
Wish I could share some of mine with you UB..I planted it about a month ago and it took off and is beautiful..I took some of it yesterday, along with some of my fresh parsley,thyme,garlic chopped it fine mixed it into butter and put it under and onto the skin of two chickens..Oh my goodness why did I avoid tarragonfor years? It is wonderful. Sorry I hijacked your question, but if I could find fresh someplace I'd use it instead of dry.

kades
Old 06-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
You could try it, but do be sure to crush & smell your dried Tarragon first. Like I said before, regardless of what source I've purchased it from & how I store it, dried Tarragon turns into nothing but dried grass/hay in a heartbeat for me. I never bother with it anymore, especially since I can grow it during the spring/summer/fall & buy it fresh in supermarkets the rest of the year.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #19
Head Chef

I like to make a compound butter with fresh tarragon to serve with fish fillets or steaks.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
You could try it, but do be sure to crush & smell your dried Tarragon first. Like I said before, regardless of what source I've purchased it from & how I store it, dried Tarragon turns into nothing but dried grass/hay in a heartbeat for me. I never bother with it anymore, especially since I can grow it during the spring/summer/fall & buy it fresh in supermarkets the rest of the year.
Well I could certainly grow it here...long growing season etc, and no more of it than I use buying it fresh wouldn't break the bank...I just checked the jar of dried...Good color...pronounced smell...I'm thinking I will crush a few tbls. into a pint jar of vinegar...put it in the refrigerator and for-get-about-it for a while...Strain it off and see what I've got....A pint jar of vinegar maybe

Tags
None