Tarragon. How do you use it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's another favorite way I enjoy tarragon - one I usually save for all the "patriotic" holidays - lol!! The tarragon flavor comes not only from the tarragon itself, but also from the tiny Cornichon pickles, which are made in tarragon vinegar. This is a bold & tangy flavored potato salad that might not be to everyone's taste, but it's always been a hit around here. The Peruvian Purple fingerling potatoes, since they're strongly colored blue/purple all the way through, make this dish particularly striking.

Breezy Red, White, & Blue Potato Salad
(adapted from a recipe by Alton Brown)
Makes approximately 4 servings

One 1-pound bag of mixed fingerling or baby potatoes (I like the “Melissa’s” brand), or, if purchased separately, approx. 1/3-pound each of white/yellow, red, & purple/blue baby or fingerling potatoes
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
¾ cup mayonnaise
½ teaspoon dry ground mustard
Approx. ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
Approx. 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
1 garlic clove, peeled & minced
1 shallot “clove”, peeled & minced
6 Cornichon pickles, roughly chopped
1 small or ½ a large celery stalk, chopped
Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Wash potatoes, place in a pot with water to cover by a couple of inches, & bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer & cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a sharp knife – approx. 15 minutes. Drain & set aside until cool enough to handle, then cut potatoes into bite-size pieces/slices.

In a bowl large enough to hold finished salad, combine all remaining ingredients well. Gently fold in potatoes & serve immediately, or chill in the refrigerator as desired.

i always think i like it or should like it. however, i really don't and and am almost always sorry when i do use it. to me it has a funky earth smell. not any help i know

Babe, I've had several people tell me they dislike tarragon. I have the soap-suds reaction to cilantro, so I dislike it, even tho I have tried and tried to like it. Everyone's palate and/or chemical makeup are clearly not alike.

When a recipe calls for tarragon, you can substitute any herb you DO like. As far as I have ever found, they are pretty interchangeable.

Babe, I've had several people tell me they dislike tarragon. I have the soap-suds reaction to cilantro, so I dislike it, even tho I have tried and tried to like it. Everyone's palate and/or chemical makeup are clearly not alike.

When a recipe calls for tarragon, you can substitute any herb you DO like. As far as I have ever found, they are pretty interchangeable.

odd huh, i love cilantro in many many things:chef:

:chef:I rarely use tarragon. But over the years find myself using tarragon in chicken and dumplings and beef stew. I know not why just habit and people like both dishes so i keep doing it.

[FONT=&quot]Bonnie Royster, GSD[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CEO, WhosStylin.com[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]bonnie@whosstylin.com[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]www.whosstylin.com[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]A Woman’s Lifestyle Resource & Salon Professionals Connection[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom