Tarragon. How do you use it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't use it much. When I do it's for Bearnaise sauce (SO loves it on her filet mignon) and in a soup or stew recipe.

I like it on fish..

I take a piece of white fish with thin veggies and tarragon, and cook in a foil pouch in oven.

To me it tastes faintly like Licorice..

I don't think I've ever used any way else..

Eric, Austin Tx.

Do you use fresh or dried? The only tarragon I've seen in plants this year is the mexican variety. I may have to get some seeds.

Do you use fresh or dried? The only tarragon I've seen in plants this year is the mexican variety. I may have to get some seeds.
licia,
I found a tiny plant at a local nursery and for the heck of it planted it...It just took off and now has these pretty yellow flowers..It is lovely and I've used some sprigs with roasted chicken, I plan to pick some of the flowers for my salad on Sunday.
kadesma:)

That's all we get in Texas for most of the year, whether it's spices or produce, it comes from Mexico. When I had a job, we would skip past the normal groceries and go to the expensive Central Market or Market Street's and get a better selection ... but you sure pay for it.

Thankfully we're moving back to Florida in a few weeks and we can grow our own year round.

I love tarragon and, until this year, had some in my herb garden. I prefer fresh, but I'll use dried. One of my favorite ways is a sauce I make to serve over homemade noodles. Yummy. Also have a couple of chicken dishes that are delicious.

Tarragon has always been one of my favorite herbs. In fact, I have a big pot of it growing on my deck.

Favorite uses? Apart from the ever-popular Bearnaise Sauce, I add it, along with fresh-chopped garlic, to mayonnaise to serve with chilled seafood - cooked chilled lobster in particular. It's also a necessary for a good Green Goddess dressing (which can also double as a chilled seafood dip). When I make crabmeat stuffing for fish or shrimp, fresh tarragon frequently makes an appearance. I also enjoy it minced into cream sauces for poultry (a la Uncle Bob's recent recipe on another thread. . .).

UB - when I do make my own tarragon vinegar, I just buy a bottle of white wine vinegar (doesn't have to be pricey) & shove a few long very clean sprigs of tarragon right into the bottle. You do have to make sure the herbs are completely covered by the vinegar, & frankly, even though it may not be necessary, I keep it refrigerated after adding the herbs just to be on the safe side.

On a couple of occasions I've made my own using 1/2 white wine, 1/2 white vinegar, + the fresh tarragon. Again - kept refrigerated.

I've never refrigerated the vinegar, but I did keep it in the cold room. Given the humidity of where I live now, I may have to refrigerate it. I sterilize a large jar, fill it with white wine vinegar, then add a handful of clean tarragon sprigs. I let it steep in a cool dark place (the cold room was great for that) for a few weeks. Then I strain the vinegar into sterilized bottles, discard the old herbs, add a few sprigs of fresh herbs, and cork the bottles.

Last edited:
Does anyone think Dried Tarragon would work? Albeit maybe not with the same results...
Wish I could share some of mine with you UB..I planted it about a month ago and it took off and is beautiful..I took some of it yesterday, along with some of my fresh parsley,thyme,garlic chopped it fine mixed it into butter and put it under and onto the skin of two chickens..Oh my goodness why did I avoid tarragonfor years? It is wonderful. Sorry I hijacked your question, but if I could find fresh someplace I'd use it instead of dry.

kades

Last edited:
Does anyone think Dried Tarragon would work? Albeit maybe not with the same results...

You could try it, but do be sure to crush & smell your dried Tarragon first. Like I said before, regardless of what source I've purchased it from & how I store it, dried Tarragon turns into nothing but dried grass/hay in a heartbeat for me. I never bother with it anymore, especially since I can grow it during the spring/summer/fall & buy it fresh in supermarkets the rest of the year.

You could try it, but do be sure to crush & smell your dried Tarragon first. Like I said before, regardless of what source I've purchased it from & how I store it, dried Tarragon turns into nothing but dried grass/hay in a heartbeat for me. I never bother with it anymore, especially since I can grow it during the spring/summer/fall & buy it fresh in supermarkets the rest of the year.

Well I could certainly grow it here...long growing season etc, and no more of it than I use buying it fresh wouldn't break the bank...I just checked the jar of dried...Good color...pronounced smell...I'm thinking I will crush a few tbls. into a pint jar of vinegar...put it in the refrigerator and for-get-about-it for a while...Strain it off and see what I've got....A pint jar of vinegar maybe:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom