"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 08-11-2016, 01:23 AM   #31
Sous Chef

Thanks, Addie, but I'm pretty reclusive and don't really have guests over, especially as I'm just renting a room.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:28 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, one again you all got my curiosity aroused. So of course I had to go to good ole Wiki and found the following after I manage to get through the whole article.

The title was "Culinary Usage"

Vanilla rum, Madagascar
The four main commercial preparations of natural vanilla are:
Whole pod
Powder (ground pods, kept pure or blended with sugar, starch, or other ingredients)
Extract (in alcoholic or occasionally glycerol solution; both pure and imitation forms of vanilla contain at least 35% alcohol)
Vanilla sugar, a packaged mix of sugar and vanilla extract

Pure vanilla powder
Vanilla flavoring in food may be achieved by adding vanilla extract or by cooking vanilla pods in the liquid preparation. A stronger aroma may be attained if the pods are split in two, exposing more of a pod's surface area to the liquid. In this case, the pods' seeds are mixed into the preparation. Natural vanilla gives a brown or yellow color to preparations, depending on the concentration. Good-quality vanilla has a strong, aromatic flavor, but food with small amounts of low-quality vanilla or artificial vanilla-like flavorings are far more common, since true vanilla is much more expensive.

A major use of vanilla is in flavoring ice cream. The most common flavor of ice cream is vanilla, thus most people consider it to be the "default" flavor. By analogy, the term "vanilla" is sometimes used as a synonym for "plain". Although vanilla is a prized flavoring agent on its own, it is also used to enhance the flavor of other substances, to which its own flavor is often complementary, such as chocolate, custard, caramel, coffee, and others.

The food industry uses methyl and ethyl vanillin. Ethyl vanillin is more expensive, but has a stronger note. Cook's Illustrated ran several taste tests pitting vanilla against vanillin in baked goods and other applications, and to the consternation of the magazine editors, tasters could not differentiate the flavor of vanillin from vanilla; however, for the case of vanilla ice cream, natural vanilla won out. A more recent and thorough test by the same group produced a more interesting variety of results; namely, high-quality artificial vanilla flavoring is best for cookies, while high-quality real vanilla is very slightly better for cakes and significantly better for unheated or lightly heated foods.

The liquid extracted from vanilla pods was once believed to have medical properties, helping with various stomach ailments.

Hope this information helps someone. It certainly opened my eyes to a lot I didn't know. Specially about Imitation Vanilla.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Well, I always knew I wasn't the sharpest pencil in the drawer. I had it the other way around. I thought it was an extra large glass with a large bottle. I'm sorry, I didn't see that right away.

I always use vanilla extract in baking, but I didn't know you could use the bean itself to flavor anything else. I think I will get the beans then and use it in the sugar like you suggested. That sounds like a good idea.

And thank you, everyone else, for your suggestions. I appreciate it.
Glad I could help

You can get a much better deal through Amazon and the beans are likely much fresher than what you can get in the grocery store: 10 beans for $15.

https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&pag...Products%20USA
Old 08-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Amazon it is, but not until next month. Darn car repair......

ICE CREAM! I totally forgot about ice cream! Did I say I was trying to lose weight? Well, forget that!

And since I now know that vanilla extract lasts so long, maybe I will go get a bottle of vodka and make my own, too. I better go to a store where they don't know me, though. I can just see the looks I'd get from the cashiers if they see someone who uses food stamps coming through their line with a bottle of vodka. LOL
Old 08-11-2016, 02:46 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's more information about storing and using vanilla beans, including how to scrape the seeds out.
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-use-...la-bean-181511
Old 08-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Thank you!!!
Old 08-11-2016, 09:03 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

You're welcome
Old 08-12-2016, 02:02 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Amazon it is, but not until next month. Darn car repair......

ICE CREAM! I totally forgot about ice cream! Did I say I was trying to lose weight? Well, forget that!

And since I now know that vanilla extract lasts so long, maybe I will go get a bottle of vodka and make my own, too. I better go to a store where they don't know me, though. I can just see the looks I'd get from the cashiers if they see someone who uses food stamps coming through their line with a bottle of vodka. LOL
Just tell them it is for medicinal purposes. And besides those Little Nips are small enough that it could fit in your apron pocket. But you can't purchase alcohol products with food stamps anyway. According to my kids, an inexpensive Little Nip of Bourbon will make for a better vanilla product.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #39
Sous Chef

LOL Addie, I already tried that when I was buying 5 to 6 12-paks of soda a month. That was when my doctor took me off my Prilosec because I was on another drug. The sub for Prilosec didn't work worth a darn and for 6 months I was sicker than a dog. The only thing that kept me on my feet was Ginger Ale and 7-Up. Plus Root Beer and decaffeinated Pepsi when I got sick of the other two. Thank the gods you can buy soda with food stamps!

One lady in line behind me called me out on it and I told her I could either get the soda or toss on her shoes - her choice. I was getting a little short tempered by that time, too.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

I love tipsy bar tender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
vanilla