Vanilla Bean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodentraiser

Head Chef
For the first time ever, I saw vanilla beans for sale. They were one of the McCormick spices. My question is, is it worth it for me to get them?

They're $12.99 for 2 beans and I can't think of anything I might need them for. I understand I could make vanilla if I had vodka, but I don't drink, and I also don't use that much vanilla.

Is there anything else I can use vanilla beans for?

Don't get McCormick. I bought some vanilla beans about a month ago through Amazon and they were a much better buy than that. I'll look up the vendor if you want. Only you can decide whether it's worth it for you.

My aunt always kept a couple vanilla beans in a canister of sugar to infuse for baking. You can also use the caviar (the seeds and pith inside) to flavor custard, pudding, pastry cream frosting or glaze for baked goods.

Last edited:
Also, you make vanilla *extract* with vodka (that was probably a typo, but I want to be thorough ;)). Not sure what not drinking has to do with it. You don't drink the extract. Well, I've heard alcoholics do, but I guess you don't have to worry about that :LOL:

You could put a vanilla bean in vodka or rum and get a flavored liquid to drink or make mixed drinks with. It's just a matter of volume of liquid whether you are making vanilla extract or vanilla flavored ?? (Insert liquor name).

Ah, but which are better, Madagascar, Tahitian, Mexican, etc?

Craig, I think these were Madagascar.

GG, thanks. It's just if I buy a very small, teeny weeny bottle of vodka to make the vanilla extract, I could be embalmed with it, because I'd never use the vodka for anything else. Or, they could embalm me with it when I die and then cremate me. That would be going out with a bang.

I'm confused. You would use all the vodka in one of those eenie weenie bottles to make vanilla extract. There wouldn't be any left for anything else.

You could put a vanilla bean in vodka or rum and get a flavored liquid to drink or make mixed drinks with. It's just a matter of volume of liquid whether you are making vanilla extract or vanilla flavored ?? (Insert liquor name).
I put my vanilla pods in gin - by mistake, I didn't have my reading glasses on - but it worked for vanilla extract.

Craig, I think these were Madagascar.

GG, thanks. It's just if I buy a very small, teeny weeny bottle of vodka to make the vanilla extract, I could be embalmed with it, because I'd never use the vodka for anything else. Or, they could embalm me with it when I die and then cremate me. That would be going out with a bang.
If you don't use a lot of vanilla extract it's a bit of a waste if time and storage space making your own. The home made stuff lasts for years - I occasionally put a couple of vanilla pods into my jar when it looks a little low on same as I often use them up for the "caviar" inside.

I use a lot of vanilla as I bake, as they say, "for England".

I put my vanilla pods in gin - by mistake, I didn't have my reading glasses on - but it worked for vanilla extract.

That doesn't sound very good, MC, but I'm glad it worked!

I've used rum with vanilla beans for vanilla extract, as well as vodka. The rum gives it a nice rich flavor.

I'm confused. You would use all the vodka in one of those eenie weenie bottles to make vanilla extract. There wouldn't be any left for anything else.

It's a joke. I've never seen an eenie weenie bottle of vodka. The only bottles of vodka I've ever seen were big enough to fill a swimming pool.

OK, maybe not that large. But much more than I think I'd need to make a small amount of vanilla extract.

But I would still get vanilla beans if I thought I could use them in something else.

If you don't use a lot of vanilla extract it's a bit of a waste if time and storage space making your own. The home made stuff lasts for years - I occasionally put a couple of vanilla pods into my jar when it looks a little low on same as I often use them up for the "caviar" inside.

I use a lot of vanilla as I bake, as they say, "for England".

That's what I was thinking. I go through maybe one small bottle of vanilla extract in 6 months.

It's a joke. I've never seen an eenie weenie bottle of vodka. The only bottles of vodka I've ever seen were big enough to fill a swimming pool.

OK, maybe not that large. But much more than I think I'd need to make a small amount of vanilla extract.

But I would still get vanilla beans if I thought I could use them in something else.

Go to your local liquor/grocery store. Surely they will have one ounce bottles of rum or vodka, usually back by the liquor counter. Don't use gin like MadCook did, that just sounds nasty.

Then you can just poke a vanilla bean into the tiny bottle and recap it. Let it sit for a few weeks.

Last edited:
I didn't know they had one ounce bottles of vodka. That shows how often I've been in a liquor store in my lifetime. LOL

Maybe I will do that. Sounds like a plan.

Could I make homemade root beer with vanilla beans?

They may be two ounce bottles. Anyway, they're like they sell on airplanes.

Sure, rootbeer with vanilla would be delicious!

Last edited:
Around here they're called nips. Actually a great way to try out a new liquor or buy just enough for a recipe.

Heh. When I went back to my HS reunion, the liquor store next to my hotel had a drive-through that sold "nips". I wandered over on foot just to see what they were advertising, and they were already sold out. Apparently quite popular!

Back
Top Bottom