"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices
Old 12-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #11
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
My "secret" ingredient is dried Herbes des Provence. You can get a decent jar in any grocery store spice section, but I buy mine at Polcari's in Boston on the corner of Salem and Parmenter. They sell it by the ounce so you can get a little or a lot.

Otherwise, I generally use fresh herbs, either from my little herb garden or wherever I can get some goodies. :) I love marjoram and tarragon. and lavender is one of the loveliest herbs You can use the leaves just as you would rosemary.

Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
Senior Cook
Boy, I wouldn't want to cook without a large assortment. I love most of them, but reach for smoked chipotle powder, lemon pepper, and steak shake an awful lot. Oh, lavender salt and fresh basil get used a lot, Just for sheer smell, I like to cut twigs of my culinary grade rosemary and put it in a little vase

HMGgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #13
WOW I do not know if I have a favorite I am a spice Queen though and study them all and love to use them. Some of the ones I use the most are cardamom, sumac, galangal and ok about 100 others lol.

I always keep fresh mint, parsley and coriander in the fridge as well.
x7anooonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post
I love pepper too..... black pepper and red pepper flakes!

my favorite fresh herbs are basil, peppermint and garlic

dried... nutmeg, italian seasoning and garlic powder

I'm not fussy either... I buy what's on sale.
pepper on top of my list too. i don't salt so i use a lot of it.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Garlic, "Italian Seasoning", Smoked Paprika, Chinese Five Spice, and Sweet Sea Salt (I know, not an herb or spice, but it falls into this category by default.)
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:28 AM   #16
Master Chef
I don't buy a lot of spice mixes, but two staples in my cabinet are Cavender's Greek seasoning and Lawrey's. They are my short-cuts. I buy a lot of others, but these mixes are the ones I reach for in a hurry.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #17
Assistant Cook
I had a small jar of Herbes des Provence given to me this Christmas.

Please advise me as to what foods they should be used with. Also, should I freeze the jar to keep the herbs fresh longer?

The ingredients on the label just states, herbs and lavender.
busyfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #18
Head Chef
Busyfingers, I love herbes de provence--great on chicken or pork. I also make the New York Times bread recipe, and sprinkle it heavily with H d P before baking. I buy a 4 ounce bag at a time, and keep it in the freezer.

For those of you who buy whatever is cheapest--try, just once, ordering from Penzeys or some other high quality spice company. You will be amazed at the incredible flavor. Kinda like the difference between store bought and homegrown tomatoes! If you buddy up with someone else and buy in bulk, the price difference between grocery store and Penzeys is minimal.
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #19
Master Chef
Sparrowgrass, I agree with stepping it up a dollar or two to get a better quality of herbs and spices. Although I cook a lot, there are only the two of us, so I need a long shelf life. Besides the blends I mentioned, I either order Penzeys or go to a local couple who buy in bulk and package it. It is always so disappointing to go to make a dish and find that there is little-to-no flavor in the seasonings on your shelf. I once went to make Greek spaghetti/Cincinnati chili only to find that my cinnamon was totally flavorless, and I'd just bought it at the grocery store. The same thing happened once when I was making your more mainstream chili and found cumin had no flavor. It's one thing when the spices are old and have been sitting on the shelf for awhile. But quite another to find out that your seasonings were old when you bought them. Paprika is another thing. You have to know how often I've been told paprika has no flavor, you just put it on things for color! Then people go "WOW! What did you season this with?" I've never gone wrong with Penzeys OR with my local "spice guy". Once I wanted a mild paprika for a dish, not hot or smokey, and he saw me walking down the street, ran out, brought me in, and had me sample his paprika. Yes, just what I was looking for. Nothing like a personal relationship with your providers. Yes, it costs a little more, and for some it simply isn't an option. But if it is, go for it, you'll be happy.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #20
Senior Cook
Pepper, garlic, cumin, basil, peppermint, parsley, paprika, cayenne, thyme, rosemary, cardamom.. ok I'll stop here.

Argamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote